Just a little lost..

Nov 29, 2008
Brick, NJ
Having lost my only cat, I've become lonely and bored around the house. I'm searching for something that I can pour my time and attention and nurturing into, but fuzzy creatures (and scaly ones) just aren't an option right now (living with someone with allergies takes its toll).

I've decided a fish tank would be the perfect thing. Once the idea popped into my head, I started doing research and quickly became overwhelmed. I'm fairly certain I want to start out with a medium sized tank, a 55 gallon, or maybe even a 75. But as a 'noob', would it be safer to start out smaller? I honestly don't want to have to keep buying more and more fish tanks because I want to get bigger ones.

I know I want a freshwater tank, that's for certain. I've been leaning towards cichlids, mainly parrots, and loaches and angelfish. But after searching through a few websites, I'm still not sure who can go with what.

I was also wondering about keeping live plants. I'm pretty sure I should wait until I get a little experience, but if I wanted to down the road, do I need to worry about what fish I have with them? Are they better for the fish to be in the tank? Would it be easier to keep them in a seperate tank?

And my last question (at least for now anyway), what is the best way to cycle a brand new tank? I've read it can take anywhere from 10 days to 6 weeks.

Thanks for any input,
Slightly confused and desperatly trying.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
First of all, bigger is better for several reasons. One is that a larger body of water is more stable than a smaller. Things go awry quicker in a small tank, making a larger tank actually easier for a beginner, actually. Also, you'll have more stocking options, Thirdly, you will most definitely want more fish once you get started. We call it MTS -- multiple tank syndrome! You'd regret getting a smaller tank when you could have had a bigger one. :)

As for stocking the tank, there are so many options, I think I'll let others tackle that question. Of course, compatibility is an important concern, as you know. You'll also want to consider the bioload (how many fish your tank can comfortably support); the 'inch of fish per gallon' rule is useless with larger-bodied fish. Angelfish need lots of vertical room.

There are some low-light plants that are easy to grow. Plants are good in most tanks. I currently have a mixture of real and fake plants in my tanks, until I get to upgrade my lighting. If you plan on seriously getting into live plants, you'll want to research lighting; the stock lighting on aquariums is as a rule never sufficient for any but plants with the lowest light requirements.

As for cycling... well, it probably means something other than what you think it does. At least that's true for most beginners. Read everything, everything, everything in the freshwater beginner stickies thread . Then read it again. Then ask for more good resources on cycling. Do not listen to the kids at the local pet store without checking online for accuracy. They mean well, but I still can't believe some of the stupid, fish-killing 'advice' I've heard in those places. *thumbsdow

Welcome to the tank... and to the fascinating world of fishkeeping! *thumbsups

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Welcome! Fish keeping is an extremely addicting hobby! The freshwater stickies are a great resource. I have several cycling options with full descriptions in my website listed below that you might want to take a look at. I might suggest that before investing in a large 55gallon tank and cichlids you perhaps set up a small 10 gallon and get that running with some easy to care for fish to get you started and get the hang of water changes and all.

I honestly don't want to have to keep buying more and more fish tanks because I want to get bigger ones.
Good that you figured that out before you bought something small. :) I started with a 20g which wasn't actually that bad. If I hadn't ended up with fry and gotten serious about breeding, I wouldn't have bought a 5g and a 6.6g as well. :eek: Now I'm trying to get rid of two of those...I have a 55g now! :D You should probably just go with the biggest tank that will fit and that you can afford.

I know I want a freshwater tank, that's for certain. I've been leaning towards cichlids, mainly parrots, and loaches and angelfish. But after searching through a few websites, I'm still not sure who can go with what.
You can check the profiles up top. There's plenty of pictures there; see what you like and then check which fish work well together. I'm going to get some GBRs (German Blue Rams) soon hopefully. Just make sure you make a list of fish before hand to check if they're compatible and that you won't overstock.

I was also wondering about keeping live plants. I'm pretty sure I should wait until I get a little experience, but if I wanted to down the road, do I need to worry about what fish I have with them? Are they better for the fish to be in the tank? Would it be easier to keep them in a seperate tank?
I started out with live plants. However, they all seem to be dying now because my lighting in the 55g is crappy. So, when you know which fish you want, and they can live with plants without killing them, check your lighting. You can always invest in a CO2 system and/or fertilyzer, but that can get expensive.

And my last question (at least for now anyway), what is the best way to cycle a brand new tank? I've read it can take anywhere from 10 days to 6 weeks.
Try BioSpira. Make sure it's refridgerated though or else it doesn't work.

Welcome to the tank! *SUNSMILE*

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Welcome to the tank, you have taken the first step in a very addicting hobby, many of us here found this forum due to a problem so you are off to a good start already.

Try BioSpira. Make sure it's refridgerated though or else it doesn't work.

Welcome to the tank! *SUNSMILE*
The reason I quoted this is appearantly this has become inaccurate..the freshwater "biospira" is now managed by tetra (a division of the same company that owns marineland) and it is now sold under the name SAFESTART and is no longer refrigerated. I have provided a link but a google search will provide more info on this same thing.
Tetra aquiring freshwater Bio Spira from Marineland - Tetra Community Forum

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
I agree with the comments above. Get the largest tank you are comfortable with now. A good resource can be craigslist. You can find some excellent deals on used tanks that are in excellent shape. I myself have purchased an 85 gallon show tank w/stand and canopy and a 55 gallon tank with stand at very reasonable prices.