Buying Aquariums Online

Dec 7, 2008
This is my first post so take it easy on me*BOUNCINGS

I currently have two freshwater aquariums, a 55 and a 75 gallon. and I am looking to get something larger, much larger. I want no less than 220 gallons.

I have one local aquarium shop and a local PetSmart. The PetSmart doesn't carry anything over 150G so I am left with on place to go. So far, through checking online, once I pay for shipping it would be about the same as buying locally. They have a 220G (anything larger is special order) with glass canopy, cheap flourescent light, and stand on sale for $1400.00 + tax. This setup is normally $1669.00 + tax. Does this price sound in line or can I do much better online?

To be honest, I'm nervous about ordering something like this online, so I wanted to hear from some of you.

This tank will more than likely be an African Cichlid tank, but I am undecided. My 75G has African C. and I really like them. About the biggest I can fit would be 400 gallons. Please give me any pointers, I'm open to anything right now.

Thanks...

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I bought what I think is a very decent, brand new 100 gallon tank for $159 plus tax, and I picked it up so there was no shipping charge. I'm guessing it weighs at least 150 lbs.

Not sure what a 220 gallon tank weighs but I'd think it would be 250-300 lbs. Shipping would be big as well.

I live in the Los Angeles area.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd say the deal on the 220g isn't bad. The larger tanks are, the cost goes up almost exponentially because of the glass thickness and construction.

Usually, the fancier stands are more expensive. But, if you're going to spend a big chunk of money on a tank, you may as well get something that's attractive.

A special order might be worthwhile if you can get the tank you really want.

I don't think I'd order a tank online. Especially with the economy the way it is, you risk losing your money if the company goes into liquidation. I did see an account on another forum where a buyer paid the full cost up front and was left with no tank and no refund when the company went out of business. Just be aware that it's a real possibility.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
If you aren't opposed to a used tank. You can find some nice used tanks on sites like craigslist. You can go and check them out and pick them up yourself, saving the shipping costs. There are a lot of good deals out there. Just a thought.

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
If you aren't opposed to a used tank. You can find some nice used tanks on sites like craigslist. You can go and check them out and pick them up yourself, saving the shipping costs. There are a lot of good deals out there. Just a thought.
+1. Depends on your location. There's a 150g tank, with stand, canopy, pumps, filter for $450 about an hour away from me. If I had more room, that'd be my Christmas present for sure.

Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for your opinions. I called my local aquarium shop today to get some prices on a 300 gallon and it is $1,000 cheaper for me to get the tank online form Glasscages.com.

I would cost me $2163.00 w/ 7% taxes for a 300 G locally.

I can get that same tank online from Glasscages for $890-990. Any word on this online dealer? I could probably arrange to pick it up since they are only around 3-4 hours from me.

I have checked Ebay and Craigslist, not much over 125 G in my area.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
I have brought from them..and LOVE them, some of the mixed reviews about them that I have heard is that they dont seem friendly or may not
be curtious..but honestly if Im saving this much money, I dont care as long as I get a good aquarium in the end..I say go for it!!!!!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Sorry I have nothing useful to add to the OP:

But a little courteous and pleasant attitude goes a long way, especially when dealing with something like this. I won't do so business with people who act like I'm bothering them, I don't care how much I may want whatever they might be selling. Does it hurt that bad to not be a jerk to someone who wants to give you money?

(and this isn't directed at the people at glasscages, just jerks in general)

Dec 7, 2008
I would be cautious. What would it cost you to drive for ten hours? Is there nothing else at all within that range?
Nobody even comes close to touching them on price around here. 300 gallon 96x24x31 with starphire front for $1125. It will cost me $200 at most in gas to get there and back. An aquarium like this around here would be well over $2000.

Do you guys think I should go 96x24x31 or 96x30x25( $100 more)?

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
In my opinion..go for the 100$ more (96x30x25)..I like the fact that it gives you more surface area and is slightly shorter- If this is your dream aquarium and you can afford that extra 100$ bucks do it, bc you may be kicking yourself later

Will you be making the stand yourself? If so, I would love to see a possible DIY thread

Eventually I plan on having them make me a custom 120"x18"x16" and Im getting quite a deal

I think if a person or business is down right nasty..then I wouldnt do business with them..but if they may come of as a bit insensitive, then, IMO, as long as they are not verbally attacking me, I am not too concerned because Im not going there to make friends Im just looking for the best product at the best competing price, a simple in and out type of job, the friendly factor would just be icing on the cake for me, again just my opinion

Last edited:

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
They seem to build a nice tank at a great price. IMO that is the most important thing. As long as you get a good quality tank, you will enjoy it many years after you forget about the bad service.

Dec 7, 2008
I will probably end up getting the 30" for a little more. I am also going to get the Starphire unless you guys object, I'm not that familiar with it. I will be building the stand myself, I'll be sure to post up some pics for you guys.

Any good plans out there for a stand/canopy?

Thanks!