Growth in filter

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
I took a look under the hood of my AquaClear this evening and spotted this stuff right away (see photo).

So two questions:

- What is that? It looks like mold.
- Algae on the biofilter - good, bad, or neutral?

Thanx

Attachments

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
It looks like mold from uneaten food to me. Are you perhaps overfeeding?
That's a trick question, isn't it?

I might be, but if I am I don't realize it. I'm starting to think the pleco doesn't need to be fed (good supply of algae), and the danios wouldn't dare let anything go to waste if they can help it. I don't feed them more often than every other day, and even then I try to do so lightly.

Of course, "lightly" is an arbitrary amount. As is "try". So I'll try and feed them a little more lightly.

Aug 4, 2008
I'm not really sure what I'm looking @ in that picture. I can't get the perspective right. Maybe another pic not so close would help me?

What I can say is beneficial bacteria will grow on the filter media in the filter. It's green. This is a good sign.

If your aqua clear is like mine, food would be trapped @ the first sponge media and wouldn't likey get to the top where my fishnet bio balls are. (not saying that it couldn't.)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Yea I am using the same filter and I cant see how food would get to that point, it would have to get past the sponge and the carbon bag before it even got to the balls.. but I have no idea what the heck it could be either. Sorry not much help.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Looks like moldy food. Doesn't sound like you're overfeeding. Could be the filter just sucks up a couple of pieces during feeding time.

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
I checked it again today, it hasn't become any larger. So I removed what I could and turned the mesh bag a bit so that it is entirely underwater.

Clarification - the detail in the photo is the blue/greenish stuff across the middle of the photo, looks almost iridescent. I don't know how food would get up that high in the filter and not get swept out by the current, if that was the case. I did notice it was anchored to the the part of the mesh that was not totally submerged - I think if it had been entirely under the water, it would not have happened.

Also, the beneficial bacteria is green? Really? I've always thought green is a result of photosynthesis. Or gangrene.

So, how would you tell the difference between it and algae, unless it can be found in a dark area? The filters in my TopFin always end up being an ugly looking gray, never any green (always in a dark area).

rommel39

Large Fish
Feb 7, 2004
Alexandria, Virginia
Visit site
That's a trick question, isn't it?

I might be, but if I am I don't realize it. I'm starting to think the pleco doesn't need to be fed (good supply of algae)
If your tank has lots of algae in it, it sounds like your water parameters are off somehow (perhaps high nitrates--high nitrates would result in algae growth. Of course your pleco would eat the algae off your glass and you won't really notice it much, but in places where your pleco cannot reach, such as your filter, the algae with build up).