needing some sound advice

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I have a 55 gal. fresh water tank at this time, now I want to get a salt water tank. I want this new tank to be in the 150 gal. to 175 gal. size range, (I want a 200 gal. but don't think the wife will go for it ). I have started to read some on line about salt water tanks and come to the conclusion that I have a lot more reading to do,lol. I have seen pictures on line of reef, live rock and open water tanks, and everything I read says this is the first choice I have to make, what kind of tank I want. I like the reef and live rock tanks but in the pictures I have seen the tanks space is taken up a lot by the number of rocks and corals. I want a salt water tank that will allow me to get the most variety of fish in the tank as possible , the fish are what I like. Is there a happy balance for me, or do I need a 1,000 gal. tank, just kidding.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I prefer a glass tank - there are benefits and drawbacks to each. Glass is more durable but heavier, has seals, is less translucent and harder to drill, acrylic is actually more clear and lighter, has no seals which are likely to fail, and is easy to drill, but it also scratches very easily (though the scratches are easier to fix).

As for the ethos of your tank, as you have realized there is a lot of planning that has to go in to such things. Either way you will need a little bit of live rock. While it is true that to have a full blown crowded reef tank you lose a lot of swimming space, it is also quite possible to put together a very nice limited reef with minimal rock and a lot of swimming room. An example of this from a member long gone is Aresgod's 40g. While it isn't totally full, it isn't totally empty and still has a lot of swimming room. Here is a link to his tank: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/saltwater-general-discussion/46890-full-blown-reef-tank-sale.html

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Are there any fish that you've seen that you've decided you must have? Sometimes those choices will dictate your other choices. For example, triggers and reefs won't generally mix. Large angels aren't reef safe, either.

It's not really hard to go from a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) to a reef tank, if you've got reef-safe fish and an efficient system for waste removal already in place.

We have an acrylic tank. Mostly because we got it for a good price from someone leaving the hobby. One nice thing is that it's lightweight, so two of us can easily pick it up. Scratches can be a pain to remove, but it's not the end of the world. Acrylic is also less likely to fail in the event of an earthquake.

Because there's such a high churn rate in this hobby, it's usually not hard to pick up used equipment or previously kept livestock for good prices.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Some good advice from all, (and it is very much apperciated ). I don't know what you mean when you say, ethos, and do you mean I will have to drill holes in a glass or acrylic tank 1979 camaro ? I havnt decided on the fish for the tank yet, I figure I am a long way yet from making those decisions, when the time comes I am going to post again for more advice, lol.

Hello Strout,
I know of a site where they have tanks larger than 1,000 gallons.
Salt water tanks are very difficult to care for, and they require alot of attention. You have to closely monitor the water chemistry of the tank too. The larger the tank the better. Certain saltwater fish need different requirements than others. Pistol Shrimp are something to STAY away from as the can bust the aquarium glass with one pinch of their claw. For a salt water reef tank you need the live rock and sand. Also keep in mind that salt water tanks are VERY expensive. The one your are planning could reach up into the hundreds. I estimate a 200 gallon salt water reef tank can cost 700+ when you are finished with it. You also for water changes need to have an extra tank of water. Be sure that it is dechlorinated.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I was just kidding about getting a 1000 gallon tank, I am going to get the 200 gallon tank as recomened by sunnymittu, and I am aware of the cost involved. I am new to this saltwater tank thing but it is something I want and I will happy with any suggestions that I am offered in this forum to help me out.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I have one more question, do most of you buy the fish, live rocks, coral and stuff for your tanks at local stores or is this saltwater tank thing mostly an on line thing ?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've gotten most of my stuff from the local LFS. There's a big advantage to being able to see what you're getting, and checking its health before you buy. Because almost all saltwater fish are live caught, they're prone to have all kinds of diseases, or not adjust well to life in a tank. Being able to check them and see them eat before buying makes a big difference, IMO. All my fish are from the LFS, and most of the corals. I've gone to frag swaps/shows to buy some corals, and bought a few online from LiveAquaria (but only three).

To comment on sdJack&Sally's advice, you're best off getting an RO unit (not using dechlorinated tapwater). Also, a tank that's in the 200g range will probably end up costing thousands, not hundreds. Live rock alone for a tank that size could easily cost $1,000. Fish generally cost no less than about $10 (except for damsels, which most people don't want), with the average fish probably costing around $30. Also, you'll definitely want to set up a quarantine tank. It's the best way to keep all your fish healthy, and shouldn't cost more than about $50 to set up.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Another thing stated.....pistol shrimp are great reef choices as they will usually pair up and create a symbiotic relationship with a watchman type gobie. I believe the shrimp stated that is usually a pest is a mantis shrimp. Even these have their place in a dedicated system. A 200 gallon tank is a great size and one that will provide ample opportunity for a great variety of fish. You can have a school of smaller fish or a few good sized specimens depending as Lotus stated on what your intentions are. Reef tanks require the fish you put in the tank to be reef safe (not fish that eat corals etc) or you can go fish only with live rock which is another great option especially for a beginner as the water quality issues are not as demanding nor is the lighting as critical an issue. Do lots of reading and planning on paper that way you will know what you want and be able to go out and find the exact equipment and livestock you wish. Good luck, welcome to mft and keep us posted on your progress........there probably isn't a mistake made in this hobby that one or another of us hasn't made..... :)

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for all the advice. While I was looking at everything I could find on line today, I ran across a few articles on fish and live rock only tanks, like you suggest. That seems like it might be the best way for me to go, I can up grade the tank with the proper lighting at a later date, and add corales then. I did find a couple of on line stores and noticed the prices for the live rocks, they are'nt cheep, and I will need a good bit of them for a 200 gal. tank. If some of you have the time you could type me some of your choices that you think I might need to put in my tank. They have differant kinds of rocks from all over the world and I dont have a clue on what type to get. I am guessing that you put these rocks in your tank and kind of stack them making little nooks and cranies for the fish to get into and hide. And again any advice you can give me is much appreciated. I am going shopping for a tank tommrow, but I dont think I will be able to find one in the local area.

Another thing stated.....pistol shrimp are great reef choices as they will usually pair up and create a symbiotic relationship with a watchman type gobie. I believe the shrimp stated that is usually a pest is a mantis shrimp. Even these have their place in a dedicated system. A 200 gallon tank is a great size and one that will provide ample opportunity for a great variety of fish. You can have a school of smaller fish or a few good sized specimens depending as Lotus stated on what your intentions are. Reef tanks require the fish you put in the tank to be reef safe (not fish that eat corals etc) or you can go fish only with live rock which is another great option especially for a beginner as the water quality issues are not as demanding nor is the lighting as critical an issue. Do lots of reading and planning on paper that way you will know what you want and be able to go out and find the exact equipment and livestock you wish. Good luck, welcome to mft and keep us posted on your progress........there probably isn't a mistake made in this hobby that one or another of us hasn't made.....
Pistol Shrimp??? Pistol Shrimp can bust aquarium glass. And they clap their claw to stun prey. I do not think that a Pistol Shrimp is a good edition. Just look at these videos
YouTube - Pistol Shrimp

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Back to your question on drilling the tank, most large SW tanks are drilled to allow for a sump below the tank. It lets you keep all your equipment out of sight and adds a little bit more water volume.

I'm not sure where SdJaCK&SaLLy found his information about Pistol Shrimp, but I think most people in the hobby would disagree. While Pistols can make a pretty loud popping noise, they are not known for breaking glass. Some people say smashing type Mantis Shrimp can break aquarium glass, but there are actually very few substantiated reports of that as well.

As for buying livestock, I tend to agree with Lotus. I very rarely buy online as I prefer to see the exact specimen. Live rock, on the other hand, is a different story. It is, in my opinion, simply too much of a price difference to not purchase on line. In the store it will probably cost $7 to $10 a pound, whereas online it is usually $2 to $3 a pound. How much you need is sort of up to you. Some people will tell you a pound per gallon, others two pounds per gallon, others half a pound per gallon. There is really no "right" amount. Likewise, it is hard to say what is "best". I would go to an LFS, look at their different varieties, pick one you like, and then order that online. At the top of this forum is a sticky about live rock which you might find useful.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
that pistol shrimp in the video attacked a skunk cleaner it stuns the shrimp by sending a stream of water at high velocity at the skunk stunning it. This is also a defence mechanism for the pistol. I have not heard of one breaking aquarium glass though. I have had one for 3 years in one of my tanks and have never seen it attack anything at all.....though I did have a coral banded shrimp go missing and chalk that up to the pistol

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I think they are thinking about mantis shrimp as far as breaking the glass goes.. I also buy all my fish from local stores.. You really wanna see the fish eat in person and make sure its healthy looking.. Who knows how long the stores on the net have had the fish that they are selling.. They might get em in on monday and sell em tuesday.. If you get em from a store you can go up a few times and watch em eat and everything.. As far as live rock goes I would suggest looking local.. Try craigslist or local reef clubs.. You can find it alot of time for like 2.00-3.00/lb.. That sure beats 5.00+ you will be paying online like camaro said..