takng down a tank????

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
after i get my 55 gal cycled and move the fish what is the best way to take down my 10 gal so its not so nasty when i decide i need it again how should i store the old gravel plastic plants ect? i was thinking clean the tank with vinger dry out the rocks and use zip lock bags?? is this a dumb question?

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The only dumb question is the one not asked ;). Yeah, all that sounds good. I'd probably rinse out the gravel really good too. That way if there's any moisture left while in the bags any organics won't rot. Meh, if you really wanted to you could always burn of the organics with bleach... Just rinse really well with hot water (to help evaporate the bleach) and dry completely.

Chris

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You'll need to let the gravel dry out (after rinsing) before you store it. Clean everything well with either bleach or vinegar solution and allow to dry. I usually use an old container (like the big pretzel buckets) to store my substrate. Often, I'll store the filter, heater and ornaments inside the tank itself. The canopy keeps the dust out, and there isn't a question of where all the parts have gone (when someone has moved them).

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
You'll need to let the gravel dry out (after rinsing) before you store it. Clean everything well with either bleach or vinegar solution and allow to dry. I usually use an old container (like the big pretzel buckets) to store my substrate. Often, I'll store the filter, heater and ornaments inside the tank itself. The canopy keeps the dust out, and there isn't a question of where all the parts have gone (when someone has moved them).
I do the same thing with the filter and what not. I tend to dispose of the substrate.

Edit: Might as well just decide what to put in it now and leave it up, will save you time in a month when you decide to do this anyway.