Are snails really that bad?

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
I found a snail in my 10g planted tank and I'm wondering if they are really that bad? Everyone seems to hate them on here, I think the little guy is cute lol.

What's wrong with snails?

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Since my OP I have noticed I think 2 parent snails. So I have 3.

As for them eating plants, I have tons in there I don't really mind if they do. They do seem to be cleaning up. As for overpopulation I think my Yellow Gourami and Molly can take care of that.

They do look pretty cool though.

joy613

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2008
I like to have snails in my tanks. they are a good indicator if you over feed you can expect a population explosion, or if they try to get out it is important to check the water. I don't have that many soft stem plants but I only find them munching on the dieing leaves, but they don't bother the healthy plants so they make my water changes a lot easier.

Jun 21, 2008
I've heard the same thing about them, that they won't eat healthy plants. I don't think they harm anything, some people just don't like them crawling all over the glass. I left mine in until it became a clown loach snack.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I like them. for the same reasons. I will take anything that will help keep the tanks clean. And like Joy said, you know which tanks are being overfed pretty quickly.

ncspuppy

Small Fish
Oct 21, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Two years ago I had a snail problem in a 10 gallon tank. I bought a plant for the tank, but it must have had snail eggs because not too long later, I start seeing a bunch of the little guys. I thought they were okay at first, so I left them. I don't think my fish were eating them, and there were so many of them. I would pick them out of the tank, but eventually I just took the fish out, went through the gravel and plants, removing all the snails, and then put everything back together. A few are okay, but that tank was loaded with them.

In my large tank (55 gallon) I see one every now and then and I pick it out.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yep they are little workers, I already have 5 snails crawling around and tons more eggs.

Lol I don't really mind actually. I will wait a bit and move some to my 20g.

I do wonder though, how can you tell what kind of snails you have? They're cool little suckers.