New Here

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
Hi guys. I found this site through a google search and so far it is the most active fresh water forum I've seen, so I've been lurking a bit.

I'm kinda new to aquariums and definately new to planted aquariums (as you can tell by the blue substrate in my fts).

At any rate, Here's my tank and just a heads up, I'll be replacing the oscar, cichlid, and pacu soon as they are a bit detrimental to my plants. I knew the small cichlid would be a bit of a problem but DANG!! This guy tears my plants to shreds lol.

Currently using a tablet type CO2 set up for the tank and dosing nutrients once a week, all parameters for the water look good atm.

Found a link to a very informative how to on building a yeast co2 system so I might be doing that if the tablets prove insuffecient for my needs. Anyway, the FTS.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Thanks for the welcomes, the only thing that is bugging me though is 200+ for a pressurised system. That would be tough to talk the wife into lol
Oh, but the growth would be so much more amazing! I've done DIY CO2, tablet CO2, and pressurized. Pressurized is the greatest!!! Make sure you read up very well on planted aquariums and get the 'good' stuff from the beginning, it'll save you tons of money... take it from me, who has spent tons more money upgrading little by little than just getting the the stuff from the get-go.

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
Thanks folks, I read the link about co2 again and hopefully if I buy it piecemeal then I might eventually be able to upgrade it.

Has anyone done the home made setup with the 2 liter soda bottles yet? If so, how did that work for you?

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
Oh, wish me luck, I'm going down to the river later today to see if I can find some rocks and driftwood for my tank. I read about boiling and letting it soak for a week or so. I think I read it here somewhere but not sure, it might be on another forum I visit :)

Should I boil the rock?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Thanks folks, I read the link about co2 again and hopefully if I buy it piecemeal then I might eventually be able to upgrade it.

Has anyone done the home made setup with the 2 liter soda bottles yet? If so, how did that work for you?
I've done it... it's OK, you have to stay on top of it though, to try to keep CO2 levels as consistant as possible, or you'll have bad algae outbreaks.

Dec 26, 2008
I agree that is a very nice tank! The driftwood would make it perfect though =). I hope you find a good piece! Driftwood looks great with blue gravel, my old tank had blue gravel. Although now I have moved onto the natural look, and I like it! =)

Good Luck!

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
The walk to the river was a huge success! Granted I couldn't get the big piece I wanted (didn't bring an axe) as it would have been perfect.

The only thing is, some of 'em are too big for my biggest pot. I got some "accent" pieces boiling now and will soak them with my main piece for a week before putting them in the aquarium.

Will the big piece cause too many problems if I can't boil it? I expect it to cloud me up a bit, no biggie there as long as it isn't something that will hurt the fish.

Since I walked I'll have to get the rocks next trip. Should I boil the rocks or would they be okay "as is"?

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
I'm no pro but I don't think boiling the rocks would even do anything. Soaking them and cleaning them is a good idea though.

As for the CO2, I'm using the DIY set up right now. Just as emmanuelchavez said, if you don't stay on top of it. You'll have algae problems. And I did/do. I don't know about everyone else but I haven't had consistent results with my CO2. Sometimes the yeast works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't know, for a person strapped for cash like myself, it beats spending a bill to get a pressurized tank. It's sort of a hassle though.

How big is "the big piece"? Not everyone boils, but soaking I think is a must. The LFS in my area has a gigantic piece of DW that takes up half of a 750G tank so there's no way they could boil it. It's basically a tree stump. I think they just let it soak in the tank and used carbon to de-yellow the water. It takes a good amount of time IMO, good luck!

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
Thank, he "big" piece will fit from corner to corner in my 37 gallon (had to saw it off lol) but its nice a knotty which is what I like in driftwood. Boiling the smaller pieces has completed and they are all in the back yard. I live in northern Utah so I'm hoping like heck they don't become a solid block of ice lol. If they do then I guess they'll be ready when they thaw lol. Dang I miss Alabama :)

Btw, don't try melting snow to fill your tank...figured it would be just as good as rainwater and actually was.......but it took all danged day to melt the stuff lol.

Figured a little experimentation was a good thing...not that time lol

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
I have 5 kids, I'm that desperate for free anything lol.

Actually I did it because I read somewhere about how rain water was excellent for your tank, I figured I'd give it a shot and up here we don't get rain (often) we get that powdery white crap. :)