Filter question...help please!!

Jan 18, 2009
www.guineapigstuff.com
Hey everyone..I just got 2 small seemingly healthy guppies today for my new 15 gallon fish tank.

Anyways, I have a AquaClear 20 filter in the middle of my tank providing A LOT of bubbles and current. I also have a bubble wall, but I don't want to stress my fishies too much since they are new to the environment.

Could the filter be too strong for them or something? They are often swimming forwards but staying in one spot. I don't know how old the guppies are, but are they maybe too young and not strong enough for the current??

Why are they swimming in one spot?? Now I'm worried about my bubble wall...

The guppies are about an inch....males....

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are places where the current is not so strong, I'd imagine. And An AC20 in a 15 gallon tank is not over-filtered, IMO. I have an AC70 on my 20. I think it is just adequate.

I have some Roseys in with the wife's Goldfish and they haul all over the place. One of them hung out at the surface, right in the current. I thought it was going to die or something. Then it was gone. Then the next day it was there again. It seems that it likes to hang out at the top, in the current.
(glad I didn't toss the little feller into the Bluegill tank)

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Hello . . . and Welcome!
I think you should be fine with this set-up . . . however, if your fish breed, you may have an issue with the fry getting sucked up.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
I've seen many fish stay in an area/spot and swim in the current coming out of a HOB filter. Mine did many times and it's just either them liking it or playing in it.

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last I read you couldn't over filter a tank (okay, maybe if you got crazy and put a 200g filter on a 10). In another thread someone mentioned that if you were worried about fish being sucked up you can put a nylon sock/stocking around the intake.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
You can have alot of filter for a tank. But if its weak/sick or whatever it can harm it. But something were saying is, its just playing or sitting there. Its in no harm atm.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
you cant over filter but you can have too much current... you should be fine with the filter but there could be other problems with your tank, we just cant help with those if we don't know more information about your tank.

Jan 18, 2009
www.guineapigstuff.com
Thank you so much everyone!

I think I'll put a nylon over the intake and maybe a plant where the water comes back out to distribute the current better.

I do/must have some dead spots in the tank...I have a tunnel and a flower pot but the guppies haven't gone in there yet.

I must be getting too worried/paranoid, but they haven't eaten anything. When I put flakes in there they dart away from my hand and don't seem interested in the food...

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
bubble wall will cause a nitrate spike
??? Never heard of that before. How?

Yes, if your tank is not cycled, you may have toxic levels of ammonia or nitrite. That will make your fish sick and weak. You can only really tell if your tank is cycled by testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The kind of test with the drops is best.

How long has your tank been set up? How long has it had fish in it?

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
bubble wall will cause a nitrate spike
How is this possible??

I think a bubble wand or air stone is quite useful.
A bubble wall doesn't even put much oxygen directly into the water. It agitates the surface of the water to aid in proper gas & oxygen exchange. It also helps to circulate the water and prevent "dead" spots. Not to mention helping the natural nitirification of waste products.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I had a couple guppies untill the tank cracked. but when I had them they constantly were in the middle of the tank in the front where the current hit the glass and shot down. they seemed to prefer that spot the most.

And as for over filtering as others have said it is not possible to over filter but current can be an issue. I have 2 penguin 350 biowheel filters on my 55 gallon and each one is ment to filter up to 75 gallons. then I have a penguin 100 in my 20 gallon but used to be in my 10 gallon when I had it. one thing my friend did to cut down on his current in his 15 gallon tank was to epoxy stainless steel screens to the front of the filter to almost dam the water up slightly and slows the water down. also it helps break up the water and airates it a lil bit more. it aint pretty but it it works.