New set up. Questions = shells & fish choice.

Jan 23, 2009
SET UP. I have a 5 gallon freshwater aquarium that I've just cleaned up. Previously, it held pond water that I was working on growing microorganisms for use with microscopes and 7th graders.

SHELLS. The substrate has some old shells from snails. Do I need to remove the shells? I was thinking it will change pH or some other chemical level. Or should I get new substrate all together?

FISH CHOICE. This little aquarium doesn't have a filter. What type of fish would be best? I'm not into exotic fish, just something that will live long and prosper. I'm thinking Betta or a gold fish. My only problem with a gold fish is that I have some large black snails that I adore. Perhaps there are other fish I'm not thinking of that will live in an aquarium with out a filter?

Thank you!!

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
Without a filter, you're going to have stangnant, ammonia ridden, pH out the roof and low oxygen content in the tank. I don't know of any fish that do well living in a puddle, and that's basically what you sound like you'll have. Not knocking the idea, I'm just concerned about the water quility. You may want to go ahead and get some type of filtration and definately change the substrate. Goldfish won't fit in a 5g, but after the water quality improves, the Betta and snails will, with room for one or two more tank mates (a few small tetras, Pygmy Cories, or ADF's). If you do go with the unfiltered water, invest in test kits and a gravel vacuum. You'll be doing water changes more often then if you filter the water. Also, the activity level of the inhabitants will decrease dramatically.

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Without a filter, you're going to have stangnant, ammonia ridden, pH out the roof and low oxygen content in the tank. I don't know of any fish that do well living in a puddle, and that's basically what you sound like you'll have. Not knocking the idea, I'm just concerned about the water quility. You may want to go ahead and get some type of filtration and definately change the substrate. Goldfish won't fit in a 5g, but after the water quality improves, the Betta and snails will, with room for one or two more tank mates (a few small tetras, Pygmy Cories, or ADF's). If you do go with the unfiltered water, invest in test kits and a gravel vacuum. You'll be doing water changes more often then if you filter the water. Also, the activity level of the inhabitants will decrease dramatically.

Now the water might not be stagnant if he has a air pump (like most 5 gals you see) But if you do want to go ahead and get a filter, get one of these they work GREAT and don't take much space:
Whisper In Tank Aquarium Filters | Internal Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
SET UP. I have a 5 gallon freshwater aquarium that I've just cleaned up. Previously, it held pond water that I was working on growing microorganisms for use with microscopes and 7th graders.

SHELLS. The substrate has some old shells from snails. Do I need to remove the shells? I was thinking it will change pH or some other chemical level. Or should I get new substrate all together?

FISH CHOICE. This little aquarium doesn't have a filter. What type of fish would be best? I'm not into exotic fish, just something that will live long and prosper. I'm thinking Betta or a gold fish. My only problem with a gold fish is that I have some large black snails that I adore. Perhaps there are other fish I'm not thinking of that will live in an aquarium with out a filter?

Thank you!!

Nay to the goldfish, betta is a possibility. You could sneak in a few tetras also, but unless this tank will be in a room with a constant room temperature, well most tropical fish pref 72-86F 80 is optimal really. The Betta may suffer if the room temp swings to the low 60s every night, but for your tank a betta is really the only good choice. African Dwarf Frogs OR types of Shrimp/Crayfish could work too

Jan 23, 2009
My plan.

1. New substrate. I have some on hand too!
2. Find (locally) one of those little filters that @Rayneuki posted.
3. Let it sit for now with only my snail.
4. Get a Betta later on when I have everything ready to go.

Nay to the goldfish, betta is a possibility. You could sneak in a few tetras also ... African Dwarf Frogs OR types of Shrimp/Crayfish could work too
The tetras would be instead of the Betta right?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I think cardinals stay rather small and so do some other species, I would think you can put 6-7 of them in there WITH a Betta, I don't think it would affect your bio-load badly... someone will post their opinion on this thought... besides bioload another important stocking option is not crowding the tank with fish that dwell in the same area... for instance your betta will probably be all over the tank, and your tetras will most likely dwell along the mid-top level of the tank... this would leave you room for a bottom dweller, i don't know of any that will suit a 5G though...

It is however to have an understocked tank, than overstocked... being understocked means less maintainence and eco problems for your fish***

Dec 27, 2008
My plan.

1. New substrate. I have some on hand too!
2. Find (locally) one of those little filters that @Rayneuki posted.
3. Let it sit for now with only my snail.
4. Get a Betta later on when I have everything ready to go.

The tetras would be instead of the Betta right?
Yeah, I would do either the tetras or the betta but not both.
I think your plan sounds good. You could also put in a java fern which would help further balance the tank. They are good oxygeators and could live in the set up you list above.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Yeah I think both tetras and a betta are a bit much.. cardinals can get to an inch, so lets say that amounts to 6/7 inches? A bit overstocked (though maintainable) and things change quickly in a small volume of water... Something cardinals, which are slightly more fussy that neons, are unlikely to be happy with. I'd stick to one betta.. I think you'd appreciate his/her personality more if it's alone :)

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
I don't know if you really know what pH is... but it doesn't change like that... actually ammonia is a buffer of pH so it wont change that much.

A betta may work

Hmmm. No, I can't say that I do, but the one time MORON over here put coral in her tank to raise the pH because the test said it was low (like 4.0), it shot to 9.0 within a few days (I finally had the LPS test the water and that's when I found out). Yeah, the pH test kit was bad. No, I didn't know Ammonia was a buffer. I'm guessing that was why mine was able to spike?? Thanks for the info law!! Learn something new everyday! :)