what can I put in my tank??

brentd123

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2008
paisley, Ontario, Canada
I have a 55 gallon tank with 6 tiger barbs, 4 zebra danio's and 2 oto's right now. Im looking to add more fish soon. I was wondering if I could put a pair of GBR's in the tank safely. Or maybe a gourami? Also what else could I put in the tank??...a larger centerpeice fish, or another small school, any suggestions are welcome.

:D thanks brent

Jun 21, 2008
If you do GBRs, be sure to do a drip acclimation. Even then, they aren't recommended for newly set up tanks as they can be sensitive. I learned from experience that they often don't do well in new tanks, even ones that have been cycled and get the attention they need.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
add 8-10 more tiger barbs in addition to your centerpiece fish. The more tigers you have the more exciting they are. Stores/people always recommend shoals but i;ve seen large tanks 55-90G with anywhere from 18-32 tiger barbs together and they do some amazingggg things, so fun to watch

brentd123

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2008
paisley, Ontario, Canada
As soon as I find some red tailed sharks im getting one and I think ill add atleast 2-4 more barbs they are sooo cool lol. Other than that I have no other plans, except I need to do something with this one red eyed tetra I rescued.. should I get 2-3 more red eyed and put them in the tank as well because I heard they do okay with fine-nippers seeing as they are fine nippers themselves. Or should i just put him in a 10 gallon I have around??
and thanks for all the help guys it is appreciated

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Generally cichlids should not be mixed with tropicals. I would fill out your schools with around 5 fish each or more if you want. I think a red tail shark would look fantastic with your current stocking levels. Only one though, they are territorial. A gourami is another option, you could really do both in your tank. Check out pearl gouramis, they get larger and are quite the sight.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Generally cichlids should not be mixed with tropicals. I would fill out your schools with around 5 fish each or more if you want. I think a red tail shark would look fantastic with your current stocking levels. Only one though, they are territorial. A gourami is another option, you could really do both in your tank. Check out pearl gouramis, they get larger and are quite the sight.
I'm gonna have to say NO to the gourami if you're keeping tiger barbs. the gourami will get raped

Okay contrary to my research, I did more research and if you have a shoal of barbs as many say they should leave your other fish alone. I'm just skeptical of adding a gourami because they have those long antenna feelers, and they're perfect tiger barb targets

Last edited:

brentd123

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2008
paisley, Ontario, Canada
I'm gonna have to say NO to the gourami if you're keeping tiger barbs. the gourami will get raped

Okay contrary to my research, I did more research and if you have a shoal of barbs as many say they should leave your other fish alone. I'm just skeptical of adding a gourami because they have those long antenna feelers, and they're perfect tiger barb targets
what if i just added 4 more tiger barbs, so i have a total of 10? do you think if i got a dwarf gourami it would still be attacked, and im fine with finding a different fish to put in there. Im just looking for something bigger and colourful thats why i was thinking gourami...*BOUNCINGS

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Hmm something bigger and colourful.... some form of rainbowfish such as boeseman's rainbowfish? Get to about 3 inches, yellow and blue, active, can't go wrong really. Generally have short fins so should be ok with the tiger barbs. Or if you want something a bit smaller, praecox/neon rainbowfish? Some rainbowfish can be as nippy as barbs so it could work out.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I think a bigger meaner gourami like a blue/gold/opaline variety or a pearl can hold its own especially if the school of tigers is large, they should leave him alone. I've seen a very large tank with lots of tigers and gouramis get a long fine.