Homemade gravel cleaner

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The bigger siphons sure have more suction, but I have tanks with fry, more delicate species, lots of nooks and crannies, etc that require a narrower tube, shorter tube, etc. I fill all of my tanks with my python most of the time, suction a few with the python, others with different sized vacuums according to their needs. I have one big boy that I use for a holding tank downstairs that moves an astounding amount of water, I use it on the holding tank for my overwintering pond fish -- the comets and koi are safe with it but it would suck up whole schools of tetras. ;)

Nov 3, 2005
New York
JWright said:
Heh... yeah I would call that "up"state. I'm from Syracuse, been to Massena half a dozen times in my life. Helped setup the fence display outside the Home Depot when it opened up there recently.

~JW
No way, im on the side road from home depot, urban drive

s_anthony

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I would imagine with a wider mouth and a smaller tube that the gravel wouldn't go closer to the top like they do with some of the store bought ones...

Great idea... maybe I can make one and sell of my python and my 2 gravel vacs :p

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Without being able to measure this is just my guess...

Nylon fitting with 1/2" NPT threads x hose barb (the HB looks too small to be half inch... maybe 3/8"? ) You would need a 21/32 (tight fit) or 23/32 (little looser) drill bit to drill out the cap for it to thread in. Not sure where *you* would find that exact fitting but I get mine at a Hydroponic store (different areas, different stores ect). They are cheaper than the equivelant fittings from hardware stores. For drill bits that size, try stores that sell metal working tools. If you wanted to use something other than a bottle and cap you may need a pipe tap... try the same places as the drill bit. Alternately, for a pipe tap you could also talk to a machine shop. All of mine are old dull ones from work and are no good for metal anymore. We were just going to throw them out but they still work great for PVC.

Oh, make sure the tap is NPT (= 11.5 TPI) and not a NPSC (=14 TPI). The latter isn't all that common but just incase ;).

Chris

On second thought... the hose barb does look to be 1/2"...

Last edited:

Stillness

Medium Fish
Feb 21, 2009
Generally four year old threads are not posted in... The OP is not going to give us anymore info. I suggest we stop posting this here. Anymore intrest in this topic should be stated in the DIY topic.