best type of water test kit

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
what is the best type of water test kit? i see a lot that have 5 in 1, nitrate, nitrite, ph, hardness, alkalinity, but i know i also need ammonia testing, do you need to get a 5 in 1, and then a ammonia test as well?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Don't get the strips. We've all (or most) wasted money on those. Get the drops. Get one for ammonia, one for nitrite, and one for nitrate. That's really all you need for now.

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
thanks i'm getting that master kit, it has everything i need! thanks.

also i have the same brand ph test, and ive never let it sit for any longer than a few seconds, should i wait longer? i thought the test was supposed to be done instantly but i saw other reviews and such that said it took up to 3 minutes.

DarthPadre

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2009
That HACH kicks a$$. Definitely not really for the average hobiest, but wouldn't it be great to have one? As for the test kits, I completely agree with the drops/liquid tests. Those strips work, but it's very hard to determine the actual color in some light, and the scale isn't grainular enough.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
IMO Seachem for Ammonia/Ammonium and Nitrite/Nitrate (comes in the same kit). In freshwater for all the other tests API.

The main reason I say Seachem is because you can't beat the accuracy AND they come with a referance vial. That way if you are getting "suspect" results you can do a test with the referance solution to confirm the kit is still good.

Chris

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
i think it measures the level of acid or alkaline... too much acid will make the ph low, and too much basic will make the ph high...i thought.

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
neither, its a product of poop...kind of like Microsoft...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..

What i think Vahluree was saying is that no matter how much ammonia you have, the pH is unaffected by it. So say you had a ton or a little, the pH would be the same. i believe thats what it means.

Also, from reading another post I had, pH isn't quite as important as many might think. From what I have gathered as long as it is stable the fish will adjust to it.

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
So after a little review about ammonia, I think I need to rephrase what I said. Ammonia (NH3) actually is a base in certain conditions.

When pH is less than 7, ammonia (NH3) is able to pick up hydrogen ions from the water and become ammonium (NH4+). This effectively is a property of a base.
As the pH approaches 7, ammonium (NH4+) gradually loses that extra hydrogen and is then replaced by ammonia (NH3). When pH is greater than 7, ammonia (NH3) predominates.

So in acidic solutions (pH<7), ammonia has a slight ability to increase pH because it removes hydrogen ions from the water. But in basic solutions (pH>7), ammonia cannot take up the hydrogen ions, therefore it cannot increase pH. When we are talking about high pH conditions then, it is certainly not ammonia that contributes to it.

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
Do the drop tests expire? Do they become less accurate? A neighbor gave me a master kit but I think it several years old. I did some side by side tests and there was some difference in the results but not enough that I could definitly say the master kit was bad, just different. Would you trust an old test kit?

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Without having a true referance to test. I wouldn' trust it.

And yes they expire because they get less accurate with age. API *had* a date code on every bottle, Pretty sure they moved away from that though. It should say something in the instructions or e-mail them with the batch code.

Chris