temperatue questions

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009
don't sweat it iexiak since some don't read the posts correctly. just take the info given and give it your best shot. you are learning.

some say the same thing over and over and that is only because we see a lot of ppl making the same mistakes over and over. alot of noobs make the same mistakes as most of us have made. heck when i started i had 11 fish in a 10 gal tank and didn't have a clue what was going on. i got lucky and found a very knowledgable fish keeper who steered me in the right direction. needless to say i only have one fish left from that disaster over a yr ago.

don't get discuraged just keep with your plan best you can and of course make it happen as soon as you can. read the posts from other noobs and you will see what i'm saying about the same questions and problems over and over.

if your water condition persists and you don't do the water changes your oscar could develop hole in the head disease and will eventually kill it. oscars are know for this disease and its usually from poor water quality. so as others have advised please do your water changes as frequently as possible. we here would hate to hear another sad story. best of luck to you.
If you are referring to me , I read the post correctly. Ive read all his posts. The guy comes on here asking random questions while ignoring the fact that his fish are in a death trap. Problems are going to keep coming until that is addressed. The guy needs 100 gallons here at least , he has a 30. The only answer iexiak is man up and take some of your fish back until you have a reasonable understanding of the hobby , or a reasonable setup. Whiskers you can go around giving e-hugs if you want , but Im trying to be realistic here. Iexiak your fish are doomed unless you put forth the effort to fix the situation soon.

Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
hes approximately 6-7 inches, the jd is 5 inches and the other cichlid is 4. the plecostomaus is 10 inches and has been this size for about 10 years, so i dont think he will be getting any bigger any time soon.
wow all you people need to learn to read and get over it, they're just fish. As the op said the pleco has been 10" for 10 years. Prolly not gonna grow much more. lol.

I've had a 9" pleco in a 29 gal for about 5 years and he's fine. k, that's the end of my rant :p

Jun 21, 2008
Your pleco might look "fine" and seem healthy, but how happy can a fish be in a tank that he literally barely has room to turn around in? Sorry canadian, but I have to disagree with you that he's ok.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
no hari-goshi it wasn't personally intended for you. it was a general statment from what i have seen/read over and over. i have seen posts on this sight where ppl turned into a lynch mob and all because one person posted something that wasn't even said by the op and everyone else runs with that instead of reading it for themselves. i guess it was ment for iexiak not to get worked up over what ppl say since they are only trying to help. i think iexiak is aware of what the major issue is and that the tank is waaayyyyyy to small for the fish kept in there.

call them e-hugs if you want but i would much rather encourage someone to do the right thing by giving them advice to help their situation untill they can do what needs to be done (in this case a much bigger tank) instead of keep telling them what is wrong.

being realistic, as i said in earlier post, the oscar will more than likely develop hole in the head disease and die from poor water quality. iexiak needs to keep on top of water conditions or all the fish will eventually die. being realistic, i don't agree with the size of the tank and again being realistic, odds are iexiak will purchace a 55 gal which by most standards is still too small for the fish which are kept in the 29 gal.

the best we can do here is support, encourage, and advise since we have no control over what iexiak or anybody else does. if iexiak wishes to ignore what advice is given, and chooses to let his/her (sorry, not sure if your guy or gal) fish suffer till they die then i would quit trying to help. general statement for anyone that would feel that way.

i know with my kids, that if i keep telling them what they done wrong and not explaining what they can do to start to make the issue better they will try to stop listening to me (little do they know i will never give up hehehe). i know adults are the same way and worse cause they don't have to listen and can walk away. i don't want that to happen with any noobie since the fish will suffer the most and some have suffered enough already.

again i'm sorry hari-goshi if you thought it was a personal attack, that was not my intent. if i'm out of line with anything i've said please feel free to slap me down but please do it in a pm and not here. i don't want to hijack this thread with this issue ok.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
i did get rid of the pleco a few days ago.

the oscar has healed up and i notice him swimming around, however whenever i walk over there he just lays down. i think hes angry at me for making so many water changes but oh well.

if all goes well i think ill have a 75 gallon by the end of the week, though i dont know when i can get a suitable stand..

i hope 75 is big enough, i talked to my landlord and i cant do a 90 because its to heavy.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
if you need to, just make sure the floor, where you want to put the tank, is level and you can sit it on the floor. i know a guy that had a 180 gal on the floor of his apt. he also supported a 374 gal on masionary blocks and a sheet of, i think, 3/4" plywood and it also helped that he was in a bottom apt on a cement floor. what ever you do just make sure its level and can support the weight. i hope all goes well and you get the tank.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I am going to second what whiskers saud (in both posts), you can build a stand for under 100 USD, if you have even basic carpentry skills. I posted a thread of my 90G tank stand during construction and has various pictures through out the project, its in the DIY section

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
This thread shows diagrams and pics step by step of one member's diy 75g stand. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/do-yourself/41781-diy-tank-stand-plans.html

It's a really good thread... at least until usacutie81 chimes in, then the rest of it is kinda hijacked, about different kinds of saws and what you can cut with them and so on. But still, most of it is about how to build a great stand.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
sweet thanks. i dont have all the stuff to make a stand but ill definatly be able to make a trip to my dads to build one.

thanks for all the help all, hopefully my oscar will make it till i can get it the tank set up and what nots.