weird white dot on my puffers fin

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
well today i woke up to greet my new friends and look at my puffer and noticed a weird almost wort looking white spot on his upper back fin

i read in the disease section that it might be ick, should i get some of those ick dissolve tablets

or what should i do, i also heard that the heater will help him, should i just wait till friday?

Alkiazer

Medium Fish
Sep 27, 2008
ABQ
www.oniclangaming.com
I'm not that sure that it's ick, though I cant get that great a look at it im pretty sure that spot is bigger than the size of suger crystals which is how ick usually forms. heres a picture thats high def from wiki to help u understand

File:Ichthyophthiriose.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its most likely something else i'm sure someone will que in to help though I may be wrong.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I'm not that sure that it's ick, though I cant get that great a look at it im pretty sure that spot is bigger than the size of suger crystals which is how ick usually forms. heres a picture thats high def from wiki to help u understand

File:Ichthyophthiriose.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its most likely something else i'm sure someone will que in to help though I may be wrong.
I am going to have to agree.. I would almost completely rule out ick from what I can make out, looks like a lump, like an infected sore from the pics but hard to tell.

I think your best bet, and I know you dont want to hear this, is to take all your fish back to the store then research what you want and then restock after your tank is cycled.. That looks like a GSP (you may have said the type of puffer earleir in a post but I cant recall for sure) which I believe is brackish but I am by no means a puffer expert but there are alot of theads on puffers if you do a search.

Jun 21, 2008
I agree with brian. Puffers don't make good community fish. And I think someone already mentioned that your clown knife will get giant. I think that taking them back and starting over might with a fishless cycle be a good plan. If not, that does look like it could be a sore, or possibly a fungus. It's hard to tell from the pics. Do some research and let us know what it looks like and we can help you from there.

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
The virus won't go away, only the symptoms do. You can only hope your fish goes into remission, which isn't a guarantee. I would return the fish. The last thing you want to do is try and save a fish with an incurable illness that can infect your entire tank. :(

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Please dont take this as harsh as it may come across, in numerous posts we all give the same advice, take the fish back, research and restock after you are cycled, you are most likely going to lose more fish because of bad stocking and a uncycled tank, many of the fish you have are sensitive to water conditions and it can lead to further problems. It is obvious you care or you wouldnt be here asking, I can not force you to take them back and it is ultimately your choice but I have been keeping fish and on this forum long enough to realize that you have the perfect storm setting, to many uncompatable fish in a tank that isnt cycled, a failur eon the scale you can be facing will become both expensive and frustrating possibly causing you to get discouraged and give up, but the fact is any failure at this point will be from not taking the advice we are offering. i dotn want you to spend alot of money or sell you anything, I want you to enjoy this hobby as much as the rest of us do and become the voice that informs other newbies the very things we are saying.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You could decide which fish you like the best and google tankmates for that fish. You'll find some conflicting advice, but after a bit you'll see a trend in the sites that appear to have the more knowledgeable people.

If you find your first choice fish is unsuitable for you for some reason (hard to keep alive, needs some sort of special care like a huge tank, should be kept alone but you want a community tank, etc.), choose another fish and do the same. Soon you'll find a combination that appeals to you, that you can care for with your size tank and your level of experience, and so on. Then you slowly begin building your tank community.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
do you want a couple big fish or a bunch of small ones or several medium sized fish? thats what i was asked when i first got into this crazy hobby. then i went from there and looked at fish that were, as adults, in the size range i wanted. then aggression was a issue for the fish i was looking at so i finally found some peaceful fish or very mildly aggressive fish that could live in a community setting. just some food for thought :)

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
i want huge fish, at the pet store i go to, frank(the owner, franks pet world) has a huge about a foot and a half cat fish that i swear looks just like pleco, and huge cichlids like about 3 and a tiger knife fish thats about half a foot, and two about 5 inch plecos... thats what i was trying to do by getting the fish that get about a foot long, i mean does anybody think that just a pleco, a dragon fish, clown knife, a golden dojo might work and thats it? or am i to risky with that?

Last edited:

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
you need a huge tank for huge fish...

i know that plecos, dragon fish, and cichlids do get along...just have to provide a bunch of terrain.

if you want some really big fish, get small ones now, watch them grow, and then get a much much bigger tank...speaking of which how big is your tank?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
75g the dragon is about half a foot, but he is still really thin, and the pleco i have is pretty small
okay, so most of us think large predatory fish are super cool "because they usually are", so let's entertain housing one.

As you noted in the store you see many between 1/2 foot - 1.5 feet long. Obviously in the store they may be packed into smaller/medium sized tanks because the store probably isn't going to properly home them, as they were fish that haven't been sold and ended up living in the store, or they are fish that have been given up by owners because they could no longer house them.

Just remember when reading below this is in reference to adult size fish. Always consider the adult size when interested in housing a fish.

The "solo" or "paired" fish you might be able to house in a 75G tank I would say are going to be your SA cichlids. Oscars, JDs, Severums, and such will be able to manage in a 50G (1) , or 75-100G (2). They usually get no bigger than 12 inches, and I would say they can live in a tank 4 feet in length or so. They aren't "active" fish, now by that I do not mean they are docile, but usually active=swimming a lot, heavy movement... like bala sharks. for your tank I believe you said its 75Gs, I would do a Green Terror and any fish that it wont own. (green terrors are awesome fish, but they live up to their name) and if your looking at aggressive fish they might be a fun choice. a combo of an oscar + pleco would be ok too. You could also create a nice tank of African cichlids, as they are very bright and colorful, and do not grow as large. OH so you're probably wondering, why cant a 4 foot tank have 4 1foot oscars? oscars and large SA cichlids are usually very messy (large bioload), and aside from needing space to themselves, they pee and poo so much that being in a small cramped tank could kill/hamper their growth/lifespan. Imagine yourself a person confined to a 8x8 sq ft cubicle with another person, and a toilet that can only be flushed once a day... I would GAG after defacating!

lets push to the 100-200G limits. Here you have room for the large and active fish. Now we can talk bala sharks, columbian sharks, etc. 4-5 large cichlids also becomes suitable.

Let's talk about tanks ranging from 300-1000G (or ponds) seldom people will have tanks this large, but some are dedicated to their fish!
The large predatory fish people get into...
Redtail catfish, Irradescent sharks, Clown knifefish, Pacus, Arrowanas, Snakeheads (illegal), Shovelnose cats .... I could keep going
These guys are tank busters, and when they grow, they live up to the name! some can literally bust the walls of your tank due to being skittish or getting spooked!

The easiest types of aggressive fish to maintain and home I will say are prob going to be your SA cichlids.
When you go after large predatory fish you really have to consider:
1) cost of feeding (different diets as they grow)
2) cost of living (tank, filtration, maintainence) will not be cheap
3) space (do you have room for bigger and bigger tanks?)
4) age (tank busters live 10-20 years)

Now you could keep a "tank buster" in a small tank, for example a few people that recentlly joined have some in a 75G or a 50G, and they aren't 1-2 feet yet, but try to determine why you want one? do you want to grow a tank buster to live up to its name? do you want a cool fish to show off to your friends? If you are really fascinated by them you would consider the budget and care required to own one, and it's not pretty. If you just want one and don't looks to help it reach it's potential, then why bother?