Enough fish already

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
so my soon to be brother in law got me a needle nose gar as a late bday gift, he ate all 15 minnows and one of my platys, well at least it will decrease to population of fish in my tank to a better amount instead of overstocking

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I know you have posted this before but can you repost your complete stocking and tank size..I am having a senior moment...lol, I know you had planned on returning some and have had some deaths so just wondering where you stand now.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
just IMO but i would talk to soon to be brother inlaw and see if he wouldn't mind if the both of you take gar back and get fish that would be more sutiable for your tank. I'm no gar expert but heres why. a friend had gars and a couple other big fish with them and one day one of the gars fruited out and killed one of his bigger fish. i don't know if all gars get as big as his were but if they do, you may not be able to keep other fish with it and your tank migh be a little small. here is a pic of his gars in a 374gal tank. i hope someone with gar experence will chime in and tell me i'm wrong but if i'm not, i have to say good luck if you choose to keep it.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
just IMO but i would talk to soon to be brother inlaw and see if he wouldn't mind if the both of you take gar back and get fish that would be more sutiable for your tank. I'm no gar expert but heres why. a friend had gars and a couple other big fish with them and one day one of the gars fruited out and killed one of his bigger fish. i don't know if all gars get as big as his were but if they do, you may not be able to keep other fish with it and your tank migh be a little small. here is a pic of his gars in a 374gal tank. i hope someone with gar experence will chime in and tell me i'm wrong but if i'm not, i have to say good luck if you choose to keep it.

the needlenose won't exceed 10 inches, unfortunately that's all he will be able to keep alive in his tank. That needlenose will rip and eat ANYTHING it can fit in it's mouth, and what's to stop it from terrorizing fish larger from it? nothing really.

You are looking at a gar-only tank. You could probably get 1-2 more needlenose gars and call it quits

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i was told by the owner that the dark one is a true alligator gar. he has (sence i took the pic) gotten rid of them cause one of them chomped into his dovi that was just as big as them, and killed it. he decided, that type of aggression was not what he wanted in his tank anymore.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You gotta take it back.

Maybe this is a great opportunity to train your family to buy you gift certificates, or you could post a wish list on the side of your tank if they insist on bringing in fish. Equipment like nice filters, uv sterilizers or co2 unit if you want a planted tank or something, a certain decoration you've had your eye on, a really good aquarium book, things like this could be on your wish list along with fish. You have to train them not to bring in 'cool' fish, that that is not an appreciated gift. Better to start with bil than gf or mom, IMO.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I know it was nice of him to buy you a new fish, but what drove you to continue to put it into the tank? you have no idea what it was, what kind of condition it was in, or what it would do to your current community. What if it carried ich or other diseases? you should always quarantine fish, or not put them in at all.

If my cousin came over one day and said hey I bought an oscar or a piranha for your tank, I would say thanks, but rudely ask him/her to return it