Pet Stores Selling Monster Fish

Pet Stores Selling Monster Fish​

Recently, I took a fish quiz online and one of the questions was "which of these fish is not suitable for most home aquariums?" The answers to choose from consisted of iridescent sharks, pacus, red-tailed catfish, and all of the above. I, as an experienced hobbyist, chose the correct answer of "all of the above" ("Fish Quiz"). For me, this is common knowledge, but unfortunately, most fishkeepers who are new to the hobby do not research the fish before they buy their new pets. They simply set up a tank, fill it with water, and go to the pet store to stock up on fish they know nothing about. Some of these fish sold at pet stores include monster fish, which are fish known to grow over one foot in length and can not be kept in most beginner aquariums, usually ranging from two to twenty gallons. Allowing pet stores to sell monster fish to uninformed customers puts the animals’ health at risk, frustrates the novice fishkeeper, and creates new problems for the store.

While the fish may not grow due to a small habitat, the organs will continue to grow. Most people do not realize fish do not grow according to the tank size. "It is not true that fish will only grow to fit their tank. This is an 'old wives' tale' and one of the most common myths about fishkeeping today" (Seyffarth). When a monster fish is left in a small tank for a long time, its organs continue to grow while its skin does not. This eventually causes the fish to look bloated, but in reality is a serious threat to its health and in most cases will be fatal. This mistake can be avoided by first researching the fish’s size before buying it. William Berg, the author of "Tropical Fish: A Beginner's Guide," informs new fishkeepers that "it is also important to look at the adult size of the fish you are going to get. If you have a small aquarium, the fish may soon outgrow the size of the aquarium" (44). Eventually, these kinds of growth problems will cause the monster fish to become more susceptible to a variety of diseases, which can cause financial problems for the keeper.

Furthermore, most monster fish should be kept in groups which is impossible in a home aquarium due to their size. Piranhas, for instance, grow too large to be kept in groups. "A 10 gallon tank is way to [sic] small for these fish. First off they are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 5+" (Monster Fish Keeper). Pacu, which can reach 2-5 feet in length (---XR---)," are nervous fish that are meant to be kept in groups" (Okiemavis). Iridescent sharks, a type of catfish found at most chain pet stores, "are best kept in a group or school in a large aquarium. They don’t thrive as well if kept singly when small" (Brough). While some fish must be kept alone like the common male betta found in almost any pet store, most monster fish actually live in groups in the wild. They are considered schooling fish and need to be kept with others of their species to obtain optimal health.

One problem affecting the fishkeeper is the fish may die since it can not be kept in a small tank. For example "the Fire eel, Paddlefish, Red-Tailed Catfish, the Pacu, and the South American Leaf Fish are some varieties that you should keep away from. Some of these grow very big, and tend to bash themselves against the glass sides and other obstacles in the aquarium" (Berg 48). Usually, monster fish in the hands of fishkeepers new to the hobby end up dying before they can reach their proper size. This can be caused by the small aquarium or because they fatally hurt themselves by running into things. Another common fish, the goldfish, should be classified as a monster fish because it gets too large as well. Many people have their pet goldfish die because their tank is not large enough. They do not realize how massive they get because these fish are sold when they are under an inch at the store. At Practical Fishkeeping, someone asked why their goldfish died; the responses were all similar: "Agreed that your goldfish died because the tank was too small for them. Goldfish grow fast and large" (Helenfaulkner). Goldfish are commonly kept in bowls which is unfortunate because goldfish are very messy and can quickly grow to over one foot in length.

Unfortunately, employees typically do not provide the customers with correct information on the fish's growth. They are employed to make money and not give the customer advice resulting in less profit. The store will do anything to bring in more profit, including mis-labeling the fish: "Iridescent shark (Pangasius sutchi)…Large, peaceful, bottom dweller, Adult size: 36 inches" (Iridescent Shark Description). Iridescent sharks do not just grow large by regular pet fish standards; they can actually grow more than four feet in length! Many new fishkeepers ask store employees for advice and walk away with fish which will become too large for their tank. One such customer lamented, "I recently bought a 78x24x24 inch tank, and when it turned up it had two 15 inch pacu and 3 16 to 9 inch pangasius, an oscar and loads of cat fish and plecs! No way they should have been in there but the guy said 'the fish shop said they would all be fine'" (Priestly).

Customers' tanks are not big enough to accommodate the fish. An interview with Christopher Argue, a knowlegeable fishkeeper, revealed that even a small fish can be classified as a monster fish if it is in the hands of a fishkeeper with a small tank. When asked how he would classify a monster fish, Argue replied, "My knee jerk reaction is to say anything that would out grow the largest standard manufactured tanks (~210 - 230 gallons). That said though to someone who has only ever kept a 10 gallon(s), even a 6” fish would be a monster." From observation, one can see most tanks sold at pet stores do not exceed fifty-five gallons; instead they are around ten to twenty gallons, and therefore, too small for the fish to grow to its proper size. It is very unusual to find anything over seventy-five gallons sold at chain stores due to the fact that tanks of this size are hard to ship and very expensive. Fishkeepers who are new to the hobby typically do not want to spend over one-hundred dollars on their first pet fish. Thus, they buy small tanks that do not exceed twenty gallons and expect to be able to keep monster fish in them. In 2006 a survey was done in the UK about how many large fish were taken in by aquarium facilities because they had outgrown their owner's tank. The statistics were the following: "Piranha, 18+; Plecstomas sp. [sic], 15; Pangassius sp. [sic], 11; Tiger Oscar, 7; Cat fish (sp. Unknown), 5; Pacu, 4, Red Tailed Catfish, 3" ("Campaigns").

Problems for the store include a loss of money when customers return large fish. "Chris_A," a former fish store employee, argued it is not worth the store's effort to take in larger fish because the cost won't balance. He states:

IME [ed. in my experience] a lot of monster fish really don't sell all that fast once they are larger [in] size...I remember sitting on some big fish for a LONG time (literally months) and that just costs the store money. When I think about it, even a week or two is a long time to be eating up tank space with a $50 (or whatever) fish. The big desiding [sic] factor is overhead, if it costs...$100/month in overhead for that tank then sure $50 in 2 weeks isn't *too* horrible, still not great though. $50 in 2 months is a big ol' zero for profit, any longer than that and the store is loosing [sic] money. (Chris_A)

He also frequents several forums and stated on one, concerning this topic, "...take into account that most large fish 1) don't sell fast, and 2) don't retail for all that much, and yes it really doesn't pay for a LFS [ed. local fish store] to take back some large fish" (Chris). Pet stores simply can not afford to take back the outgrown versions of the one inch fish they sell. If these monster fish were not sold to begin with, this problem could be avoided.

Some may argue it is not the responsibility of the store to help the customer care for the fish, but in fact, it is. They are responsible for the products they sell. It will only cause more problems because people will return the fish when they get too large and stores can not keep large fish for very long. If employees would inform customers about the correct length of the adult fish and the proper ways to care for them, more money could be saved on the part of the store and the customer.

Another counter-argument may be the fish is so cheap it really does not matter if it dies; it can easily be replaced. However, it is a living creature. No one would ever treat a cat or dog that way. Yes, fish are, in most cases, much cheaper than other pets, but they have the right to live a healthy life just like any other animal. When the customer buys a live object, such as a fish, they should be responsible for giving it the proper care and keeping it healthy.

Every time I go to a pet store which sells fish, I am appalled by how employees try to get customers to buy fish even though they know the customer can not take proper care of them. Monster fish, including iridescent sharks, pacu, and common plecos, are usually sold while they are still under an inch or two in length. It is like buying a furniture kit which is labeled "easy" but then finding it takes too much effort to build and ends up being a waste of time and money. Monster fish should not be sold by pet stores because they are too hard to care for. They simply grow too large for most beginner fishkeepers to handle and end up causing problems for everyone involved.

Works Cited

Argue, Christopher. "Monster Fish." E-mail interview. 8 Mar. 2009.

Berg, William. Tropical Fish: A Beginner's Guide. AC Tropical Fish, 2005. <http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2&d=1158951053>.

Brough, David. "Pangasius Catfish." Animal-World. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/pangasius.php>.

"Campaigns." BIAZA Public Access. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://www.biaza.org.uk/public/pages/campaigns/bigFish.asp>.

Chris. "English Class." Aquatic Passion Forums. 15 Feb. 2009. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://aquaticpassion.animal-world.com/index.php?showtopic=185>.

Chris_A. "Pet Store Employees!" My Fish Tank. 8 Mar. 2009. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/lounge/56216-pet-store-employees.html>.

Helenfaulkner. "Setting up tank after fish death." Practical Fishkeeping. 10 Dec. 2008. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=270215>.

Iridescent Shark Description. Pet store fish tank label. Petco, 5011 East Ray Road, Phoenix, AZ 85044. 2 Mar 2009.

Monster Fish Keeper. "How long can you keep a piranah in 10 gallon?" Yahoo! Answers. Summer 2008. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080622190920AAlUJZl>.

Okiemavis. "Pacu tank mate?" Fish Forum. 6 Oct. 2008. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/pacu-tank-mate-15369/>.

Priestley, Elizabeth. "Reader comment." Weblog comment. Practical Fishkeeping. 28 Jan. 2007. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=74>.

Seyffarth, Keith. "How Big Will My Fish Get?" Fish Tank Guide. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://www.firsttankguide.net/size.php>.

"This Month's Fish Quiz." Fish Channel. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://www.fishchannel.com/quiz/quizpage.aspx>.

---XR---. "Thinking about buying another tank." Aquatic Passion Forums. 2 Mar. 2009. 8 Mar. 2009 <http://aquaticpassion.animal-world.com/index.php?showtopic=326&hl=pacu>.

This is a paper I wrote for one of my English classes. Feel free to use it as a source for any of your own projects or just for information. You man use my username (Coryator) as the author. Please use a citation when copying or paraphrasing any part of this article. You may not copy or paraphrase the entire article or part of it without citing it. Be aware that that would be considered plagiarizing. Enjoy!

radmobile

Small Fish
Feb 8, 2009
neat read.

not sure if you've edited that yet but cannot should be used in place of can not.

and this sentence
It is like buying a furniture kit which is labeled "easy" but then finding it
sounds better as: It's like buying furniture kits which are labled easy.....

Not criticizing your work I just hate when I miss simple mistakes. and lose easy marks

by the way what are you taking in school?

radmobile

Small Fish
Feb 8, 2009
I double checked...you can use either can or cannot. There is certain context where one is supposed to be used rather than the other. Unless your getting your phd in the english language. I don't think it matters which one is used. :)

Mar 3, 2009
was at chain store tonight and seen this problem first hand...idiot guy wanting the biggest commen pleco they have..."I have a 75g and need a big guy in there to keep my other one company." correct me if i'm wrong but two common plecos in 75g=not good if you want other fish right.

was at chain store tonight and seen this problem first hand...idiot guy wanting the biggest commen pleco they have..."I have a 75g and need a big guy in there to keep my other one company." correct me if i'm wrong but two common plecos in 75g=not good if you want other fish right.
It's not the worst, but I wouldn't recommend it...

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
I often question why monster fish get sold at pet stores. Iridescent sharks are among the most extreme. Almost nobody is going to have enough room for them at four feet long. Then there is Oscars. Why do they sell these? Nobody has room for them. If you get a large tank you have room for one of them and like nothing else. Bala Sharks too get like a foot long if I recall and they need to be in groups! If someone wants a fish that looks like a shark they should get the far more colorful rainbow and red-tailed shark.

Really, I think the maximum extent of monster fish should be clown loaches and common plecos. Dwarf Plecos, Otos, and Siamese Algae Eaters need to be the designated algae eaters.

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009
Then there is Oscars. Why do they sell these? Nobody has room for them. If you get a large tank you have room for one of them and like nothing else.
The reason they sell them is because they are very interactive and each have distinguishable personalities. One of the most owner friendly fish out there. The problem is the maximum size of the fish and tank needed to house them are often downplayed to make sales. Agreed they shouldnt sale them in places that dont also sale 75 gallon tanks but the pacu , rtc and id shark are bigger problems than oscars.

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
I've heard of Oscars have distinct personalities and displaying intelligence. In Florida they are excellent in outdoor ponds and that is probably the most ideal way to keep them. This tank Fish Tank of August '00 at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish is about the best Oscar tank I have ever seen but this tank is ridiculously huge and not in the budgets of most people.

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009
I've heard of Oscars have distinct personalities and displaying intelligence. In Florida they are excellent in outdoor ponds and that is probably the most ideal way to keep them. This tank Fish Tank of August '00 at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish is about the best Oscar tank I have ever seen but this tank is ridiculously huge and not in the budgets of most people.
Do you realize that the frontosa you are housing in your 29 gallon will get close to the same size as the oscars you are saying no one has room for?

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Do you realize that the frontosa you are housing in your 29 gallon will get close to the same size as the oscars you are saying no one has room for?
yea i'm kind of disturbed by your posts considering your own stocking, and you plan to move them to a 55g? lol 4 clown loaches in a 55G alone is loaded. If you are going to comment on a thread like this, don't be a hypocrite...

and your pleco if common could use a 75G tank too

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009
yea i'm kind of disturbed by your posts considering your own stocking, and you plan to move them to a 55g? lol 4 clown loaches in a 55G alone is loaded. If you are going to comment on a thread like this, don't be a hypocrite...

and your pleco if common could use a 75G tank too
Lol , pot meet kettle.