Freaking out!

Mr. Fishy

Small Fish
Mar 8, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a 10 gallon with 5 danios and a betta fish with an oto and they all get along great! the danios play tag and the betta doesnt ever mind them and the oto kinda flys solo...

Well...

Today my friend wanted to buy me a glofish to add
So I researched it and read that glofish are just different color danios

So I added the little guy to the tank and then all hell broke loose! Danios we pecking at my little glo guy and my betta kept lurking up behind him to take a bite. It was bad, so I quickly conditioned some water and put him in an old fish bowl since thats all I have left!

GAH what do I do?!

Should I put him back in? Like will they stop after a while?!

He is freaking out in the bowl right now : (

I feel so bad. I thought it would be fine because that what iread but I was mistaken I suppose...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2008
It might be because you added a single fish to an already established school. He might not make it long in the bowl, by the way, but I'm not sure. You could either take him back, or rearrange the tank when you put him in so that the fish are distracted by establishing new territories. I'm surprised that your betta and your danios have been getting along anyway, and your otto needs a school once you start adding fish to the tank. Your best bet at this point may be to take him back, or get some more glofish so that he's not the only new one (this depends on the status of your cycle, and how stocked you already are).

Mar 3, 2009
I have 5 glo fish and a betta and they all get along fine. The betta just stays all by himself if someone is in his way he chases them but they are so quick he just gets annoyed and leaves them alone.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
danios should not be in a 10G, let alone 5 (i cant believe no one noticed that). Bettas should not be kept with danios, they are fast, active fish and nippy; bettas are slow moving with fancy tails (fancy tails = fin nipped).

danios should be in a 20G or >>>> , length of the tank is more important than the height for swim room.

I sense a bigger tank in your future

good luck

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
danios should not be in a 10G, let alone 5 (i cant believe no one noticed that). Bettas should not be kept with danios, they are fast, active fish and nippy; bettas are slow moving with fancy tails (fancy tails = fin nipped).

danios should be in a 20G or >>>> , length of the tank is more important than the height for swim room.

I sense a bigger tank in your future

good luck
....yeah and what about a betta and goldfish together??? that seems crazy to me. Goldfish=coldwater species...Betta=completely opposite.

It would be wise in the future to get more info. Read/speak to a few people and see what the general opinion is on species compatability and never go by just one source.

oops
I read that wrong or just assumed you mistyped.... lmao...glofish is not a goldfish. doi!

Good luck anyways and I hope that is not overstocked.

Last edited:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
jo3, he has 5 danios in a 10 gallon tank. *twirlysmi

If you happen to acquire a longer tank for the danios, you'll discover just how much fun they are to watch as they race from one end to the other. They do need the swimming room as they are so active. At that time you could add two or three rasboras, for instance, to the betta tank. They're much calmer.

Bettas have widely differing personalities. Some will tolerate no tankmates, and some will tolerate a lot. Yours sounds kind of mellow. The thing to watch for is if the danios nip at the betta, thus causing him stress and setting him up for illness.

With six danios, including the glofish, and a betta and oto, better keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, as you are almost certainly overstocked, but if you're diligent with water changes you can keep a handle on it until you set up another tank.

Mar 3, 2009
I am getting a 29g or 55g in the very near future. I love my fish but did not know very much about them when I started. My danios never bother my betta. He is almost 3 inches long and very healthy. He got added in there after a disasterous move when he almost died. The danios ignore him and really he is the bully that chases them.

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
I've kept Danios with a Betta too. I never had issues. Bettas usually have more issues with other slow moving fish like Gouramis or Angels and fin nippers like Tiger Barbs. Danios may or may not be fin nippers depending on the situation which is probably why caution was advised.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
jo3, he has 5 danios in a 10 gallon tank. *twirlysmi
what? that's exactly right, and he should not have 5 danios in a 10 if the owner wants the full effect of the fish and propare care/housing for it. If he wants to cramp them, possibly turn them into fin nippers and jumpers, then that is fine too. But I pointed out he has 5 in a 10G, because he does... lol *laughingc*laughingc*laughingc*laughingc

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
lol i had to re-read and i see how it was missunderstood by homebunny. it could be taken as "danios should not be in a 10g, let alone 5g" . unlike the way you ment it, as "danios should not be in a 10g, let alone 5 danios in a 10g" . just my 2 cents on how things can get easily messed up in the world of the typed and unspoken word. *thumbsups

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
lol i had to re-read and i see how it was missunderstood by homebunny. it could be taken as "danios should not be in a 10g, let alone 5g" . unlike the way you ment it, as "danios should not be in a 10g, let alone 5 danios in a 10g" . just my 2 cents on how things can get easily messed up in the world of the typed and unspoken word. *thumbsups
actually the way you interpreted it still made sense but with her response i think she might have thought i read the guy has 5 danios in a 5G, either way, misread by her, faulty post by me, OH WELL *GOLDFISH*

Feb 8, 2009
CRAP, I didn't see you only have a 10 gal. Take all the danios back, or get a bigger tank. Trust me from experience. I had my 4 zebras in a 10 gal. and they started nipping at each other like crazy. Now that they're in the 50 gal. they are a true school.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
what? that's exactly right, and he should not have 5 danios in a 10 if the owner wants the full effect of the fish and propare care/housing for it. If he wants to cramp them, possibly turn them into fin nippers and jumpers, then that is fine too. But I pointed out he has 5 in a 10G, because he does... lol *laughingc*laughingc*laughingc*laughingc
Ohhh..... *crazysmil I took you to mean that he had 10 danios in a 5 gallon tank!! You can see why that didn't sound right to me! Sorry 'bout that.

It is very true that the danios should be in a longer tank. He'll enjoy their behavior much more if they have room to race back and forth. They're pretty cool little fish in the right settings, but can truly be an annoyance if underhoused and mismatched with tankmates.

I'm thinking about putting a tank including danios on the dementia unit at the nursing home where I work. Actually I think I'd like to set them up an active tank and a peaceful one. There are two dining rooms, one quieter and one with a higher activity level.

Mar 24, 2009
Glofish freaking out!

My husband and I are new at this and I'm full of questions! My husband started a 36 gallon community tank a few weeks ago. His first fish were a betta and a male & female platy...no problems. Then he added 5 Glofish. The betta and platies were curious but didn't hurt them. But I thought the Glofish were acting weird. They stayed up on the surface of the water and wouldn't venture down into the tank. So we turned the aquarium light off, thinking maybe a little quiet time would help relax them. But instead, a couple of them started freaking out! They started zooming around the tank, back and forth, up and down, and slamming headlong into the side of the tank! I think one even hurt himself because he just kind of dropped to the bottom of the tank and stayed there for about ten minutes after hitting his head on the glass!! This behavior happens every time we turn the light off, but when we turn it back on, they all school together on the surface of the water. Is this normal for Glofish? We've checked the water chemistry and temp and all is well for the breed. Any thoughts??