Betta tank question

Mar 24, 2009
I’m a newbie with a VT Betta (named Bob) whom I just love to pieces! He’s in a 5 gal, Plexiglas tank with artificial plants and a fake log he can swim through and he seems very happy! He dances around his tank when it’s feeding time and snuggles up to my hand when I put it against the tank. He even built a bubble nest the other day!! I have an in-tank “Whisper” power filter (came with the tank), which I set to a low-flow output because I read that Bettas like still water. But I’m concerned that it isn’t filtering enough. His bubble nest is starting to break-up and now it looks a little slimy on the surface of his water! Should I bump-up the flow on his filter?

Also, I don’t have a heater in his tank because I keep my place pretty warm and, so far, his water has been maintaining a temp between 76 – 78 degrees. But soon, my husband will be cranking up the air conditioning, so I picked up a small heater. It say’s it’s for tanks between 2 – 15 gallons, no thermostat (constant 78 degrees) and is 50 watts. I read (on Miss Fishy's website) a good rule of thumb for heaters is 5 watts per 1 gallon. So you can anticipate my question…is 50 watts to powerful for a 5 gallon, Plexiglas tank?
Thanks in advance for your help

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
you should be okay as long as the heater is kept to a low setting, and I would get a thermometer for the tank so you can see the temp constantly. does the heater have a timer or anything? Also did you cycle the tank before putting the betta in it? If not you might want to check out miss fishys guide for cycling too.

Good luck and welcome to mft!

Mar 24, 2009
No, it cycled with Bob in there! I checked the water the other day with test strips that check for everything and everything was well within normal ranges. Well, except for maybe the water was really soft...but the PH was 6.8, so that's fine, right?? I can't adjust anything on the heater, it's just a constant 78 degrees and no timer or anything. The flow from the filter doesn't even make a ripple in the surface of the water as it's set now. Do you think Bob would learn to deal with it if I bump it up a notch??

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
No, it cycled with Bob in there! I checked the water the other day with test strips that check for everything and everything was well within normal ranges. Well, except for maybe the water was really soft...but the PH was 6.8, so that's fine, right?? I can't adjust anything on the heater, it's just a constant 78 degrees and no timer or anything. The flow from the filter doesn't even make a ripple in the surface of the water as it's set now. Do you think Bob would learn to deal with it if I bump it up a notch??
he might learn how to deal with it, but if you can keep the water current to a low, why not? a lone betta isnt going to pollute your tank that bad. About your test strips, test strips can be very faulty I would grab an API master kit (the drop test kit) if you can. They are a lot more accurate.