is it a good idea?

Mar 27, 2009
I recently started a tank. I have 2 redtail tinfoil barbs and 2 blue gourami. My sister has some tinfoil barbs and she feeds them weiners, and she has been having the for over a year the seem to love them, but is it a good idea?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well...I'd say its a better idea to feed them food that is made for them. Be it flake food, freeze dried whatnot...whatever. However, there really isnt anything in the weiners that will hurt the fish.

Obviously it wont kill them, if they have been eating it for this long. I would suggest stopping the weiners and getting fish food though. It would be best for the fish.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
The weiners definitely are bad for them, no question about it.
It might seem harmless because they enjoy them, and in fact there are some dietary benefits---but these are outweighed by the large amounts of mammal fats which they contain. Fish aren't really designed to digest and break down these fats as we humans are, and ingesting this type of food regularly can lead to strain on the liver and all sorts of related health problems.

For this reason, it is recommended that you stick with foods that are designed specifically for your fish (e.g. commercial pellets/flakes). Treats should consist of fish-based offerings (such as frozen fish, shrimp/krill, etc.) whose fat content is much easier for your fish to digest than the type of fats contained in hot dogs.
BV

Mar 27, 2009
Thanks you all for your help. I only feed mine tropical flakes, I am still learning,I just like more info before I commit to doing anything. My sister's fish seemed to enjoy them so much, but I didn't want to feed them to my fish until I had done a little research, lol. Thanks again.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
The weiners definitely are bad for them, no question about it.
In another forum a nutritionist stated that fish, being cold-blooded animals, should not eat meat from a warm-blooded animal.

My fish love raw bacon. Only fed them a little bit one time until I found this out. ow it's raw shrimp and other types of aquatic food.

Mar 27, 2009
dull looking fish?????

I have 2 redtail tinfoil barbs and 2 blue gouramis in a 55 gal tank. My barbs were a real pretty silver color hence the name (I know). Now my barbs are turning a dark dull color. What is this and what can I do?