What?!?!

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
your ammonia and nitrites going to zero is a sign of your cycle being done, your nitrates on the other hand should still be up there. Im gonna assume you have the API test kit and the fact you got 0 on your nitrate is because you didnt shake the 2nd bottle enough, or shake the entire mixture for a minute. But the fact that your ammo and nitrites are gone should mean you are cycled now.

Mar 18, 2009
your ammonia and nitrites going to zero is a sign of your cycle being done, your nitrates on the other hand should still be up there. Im gonna assume you have the API test kit and the fact you got 0 on your nitrate is because you didnt shake the 2nd bottle enough, or shake the entire mixture for a minute. But the fact that your ammo and nitrites are gone should mean you are cycled now.
What's the deal with having to do this drill with the API kit? (I know nothing about chemistry)

I have the API kit as well, and dutifully shake the second bottle for 30 seconds and then the mixture for a minute, but am curious as to why this is necessary. Are there other types of kits that don't require this?

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
What's the deal with having to do this drill with the API kit? (I know nothing about chemistry)

I have the API kit as well, and dutifully shake the second bottle for 30 seconds and then the mixture for a minute, but am curious as to why this is necessary. Are there other types of kits that don't require this?
Those kits are the most accurate and one of the best tools to have in this hobby.
It is important to know what is going on in your water because thats where the fish live. Small amounts of ammonia and nitrite as well as large amounts of nitrate can be toxic to your fish.
There are test strips available that only require a dip in the water. However most agree that those are not as accurate. I have never used them.

Mar 18, 2009
It's good to know that I've got a good kit.

I think that I wasn't very clear in my question, though - I understand completely the reasons for testing, I was curious why the nitrate test require the shaking of the second bottle and the test vial for a minute, whereas the nitrite and ammonia tests don't require this.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008

I think that I wasn't very clear in my question, though - I understand completely the reasons for testing, I was curious why the nitrate test require the shaking of the second bottle and the test vial for a minute, whereas the nitrite and ammonia tests don't require this.

I believe the process for testing is the same as a titration. Sometimes things need to be shaken to work.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
It's just the reaction of the chemicals together. Some chemicals need to be well agitated for the proper reaction to take place. Some reactions take a certain amount of time to complete. Remember science class? how sometimes you had to shake things for a while for the experiment/test to turn out? I'm just glad we have an affordable way to do home testing of our water. :)

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA

I do this for all the tests, for accuracy sake. I call it "waking up the ingredients" but yeah ..... what they said lol.