I Need SERIOUS Help!

Apr 8, 2009
I got my first tank around March 20. I was overexcited about the prospect of having pets so I set up the tank and only waited 24 hours before purchasing my fish. Many passed right away. I went to PetSmart and they advised the ammonia in the tank was high, recommended a product and sent me on my way. We already had something for the PH, nitrates etc.

Now, I can't seem to get the ammonia under control and when I test the water, the kit always says its hard. I seem to be adding the ammonia stuff everyother day which seems very not normal to me. I add water conditioner and that doesn't seem to do anything for the water either.

I am worried that my fish are suffering and struggling to live. I don't want to cause them discomfort but I don't know what to do to correct the issues in the tank short of seeing if the pet store will take them back until I can figure it out. Please, Please HELP!

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Well you can see if they will take them back.
But in the meantime, you can do a 50% water change to limit the ammonia in there.

Problem is you're going to get nitrite in there too and if you keep the fish, they will have to undergo even more toxicity and they probaly will not survive that stress.

People who do "fish-in" cycles, try to limit the stress of the fish by doing partial water changes regularly.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
The problem is your tank is cycling. The only way to keep the ammonia and nitrItes down is by regular water changes. Don't try to 'fix' the ammonia by adding chemicals to the water that's supposed to help it, if it does anything this will only prolong the cycle. Once you tank cycles you will have zero ammonia and nitrItes and should keep a safe level of nitrAtes.

A fish in cycle does take longer than a fishless cycle because you do have to do water changes on the tank to keep the levels at a some what safe level for the fish. If you did decide to take the fish back and continue with a fish less cycle, you need to read up on it first to know what you need to get before hand. If you want to stick with the fish in cycle, the fish making it will depend on the species of fish and on you. If the fish are hardy and you keep up on checking the water and not let the levels get to out of the control then most should be fine. Any fragile fish you've probably already lost from ammonia.

And really the only water additive you should be adding is a water conditioner that removes chlorine/chloramines from tap water when you do water changes. Anything else is pretty much a waste.

There are some great posts and further reading HERE.

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
yeah, i have a 75gal tank and a 10 gal, one is a fish and other is fishless

the fishless is showing signs of nitrites and nitrates allot sooner that the fish filled one

its just a matter of water changes in the fish filled one,

i recommend to boost it is have a hose going in the tank with a controlled water temp and one going out taking out the bad water, its so much faster and gets allot of the ammonia out within a day
and you shouldnt have a problem with ammonia for a while

Apr 8, 2009
Thank you all so much! I just feel horrible at the thought that the little guys are suffering. I just hope putting your fish in cycle advice to use will make a difference because they are great fish that seem to have awesome personalities and I really want to keep them around for a very long time!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Well, we don't do them any favors by doing a fish in cycle. Any ammonia is bad and does harm any fish, it's just the amount of damage it does varies. Some fish are more able to handle the stress and ammonia better than others. That's why it's important to keep up with the levels when we do the fish in cycle to keep things as bearable as possible. :)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Your tank is definitely cycling. Unfortunately, this is not good to do with fish in the water. What fish do you have in this tank? You may be overstocked as well, either way, do not add any more fish until you have the water under control.

Take a look at the stickies in the freshwater forum on tank cycling or take a peek at the site listed in my signature, I have some suggestions in there for a fish-in cycle (which it looks like you're doing now).

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Get a test like this one, and then do water changes large enough and often enough to keep the ammonia and nitrites at .5 ppm or less. Preferably less.

Also, when you change the water use PRIME to treat it. The best product on the market. You can get through the cycle.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I got my first tank around March 20. I was overexcited about the prospect of having pets so I set up the tank and only waited 24 hours before purchasing my fish. Many passed right away.
When you say MANY passed away...how many did you add to begin with?

I'm concerned that you may have "dumped" way too many fish in your tank.

We need to slowly introduce fish. Adding too many at once will surely send
your ammonia levels skyrocketing.

And if they passed "right away"...it indicates to me that there is a good chance that you did not acclimate the fish.
Sudden temperature and ph changes will kill the fish immediately.