Goldfish

Mr. Fishy

Small Fish
Mar 8, 2009
Portland, OR
Honestly, Can I really not keep a healthy goldfish in a five gallon?

Like I am talking about a regular comet gold fish in a nice little tank all by itself, with maybe some ghost shrimp to help keep things clean.

Am I just irrational about it?

Like I am talking solid filtering and everything.

Just no? Or?

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
well.....its not the best thing to do and i'm not supporting the idea, but, my mother has kept a regular ole feeder goldfish alive for over a yr saving it from a horrible fate of being eaten by one of my ex-fish. She has managed to keep it in a goldfish bowl by changing bowls every 2 days. she has 2 bowls that she uses and so far to my supprise, its still alive. like some things its not whether it can be done but should it be done. Hopefully i will be able to set her up with a 20gal tank in the near future but for now it still is alive.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You need to be sure to test the ammonia and nitrate levels frequently, as in at least twice a week, ongoing, IMHO... ammonia to be sure the tank's bacteria are efficiently consuming it, and nitrate to establish how often you need to do water changes, and how much of a change to do each time. You will discover that as the fish grows, and goldfish do tend to grow rapidly, you're going to have to step up your tank maintenance. Eventually the fish will grow large enough that you'll see the need for a much larger tank in order for it to have swimming room. You could consider this an experiment in why larger tanks are recommended for goldfish. However, if you don't intend to keep a close eye on the water parameters and keep up with the necessary maintenance, then no, I wouldn't recommend keeping a goldfish in a five gallon tank.

Actually, if you decide to conduct this little experiment, it would be helpful if you were to report on it over time.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, Can I really not keep a healthy goldfish in a five gallon?

Like I am talking about a regular comet gold fish in a nice little tank all by itself, with maybe some ghost shrimp to help keep things clean.

Am I just irrational about it?

Like I am talking solid filtering and everything.

Just no? Or?
a goldfish should have at least 15-20 for itself. Goldfish get big, i'm not sure if you grasped that yet. it's not just their messy bioload

"Comet-tails can grow up to 12 inches in length."
"The Comet also seems to be more active than most other Goldfish breeds. It's not unlikely to see your Comet dashing back and forth in his tank, racing around the other fish in an almost playful manner."

If you wanted to cram a goldfish in a 5G I would recommend the least active of the group, probable a fancytail. Some of the fancytails peak at 6-8 inches and they wont be darting across the tank into decor and the glass, so that's your best bet.

If you really plan on stuffing a goldfish in the 5G though, well I have/dont want nothing to do with it. And my recommendation for a fancytail is because I know you and others who like to overstock dread the advice I would usually give, which is an astounding, No.

Edit***
Shrimp may keep your tank looking nice, but I wouldn't say it will keep the water clean. The bioload is what it is, and water changes are for the purpose of "cleaning the water". If anything, the shrimp adds to the bioload. Just like how people think "OH if I get an algae eater they'll clean my tank" when really "common" plecos (ones usually bought) make a bigger mess than they clean.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I agree with jo3 on this one.

I don't think it is do-able. Some people claim to have success keeping goldfish in bowls but I just don't believe it... A 5g would be too small.
But if you have an empty 5g, you can re-think what to put in it...like a betta and/or some african dwarf frogs. Or you could reserve it as a quarantine tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
It is cruel to keep a goldfish in a small tank. Goldfish can live up to 20 years and regular comets reach up to 12 inches long, that's almost bigger than a 5 gallon tank alone! By keeping it in a small area like that, you will be stunting its growth (a bad/cruel thing to do). Also, a 5gallon tank is too small to develop the amount of good bacteria it would need to keep up with the bioload of a goldfish. They have high amounts of waste and need larger tanks that can sustain them, it's not just about the swimming room.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You know, it really kills me how many 5gal and smaller tanks are marketed as goldfish tanks. I hadn't been in a lfs for some months due to my finances and last week walked out really aggravated after my visit to the local Superpetz. Not to pick on them, of course, as they probably carry the same sorts of small tanks with the same packaging as the other chain stores, but I saw a 2.5gal packaged as a goldfish tank! This is one reason, I suppose, that many people think goldfish live for two or three months.

I think that if the OP has water test kits, knowledge of how to use them, and a large enough tank on hand ready to use when things go south on him, trying (for a short time) to keep a goldfish in a small tank could be a good learning experience as to what actually goes on in a tank even when the water 'is crystal clear'. However, if he isn't interested in testing frequently and changing water every time he turns around to keep conditions liveable, and isn't prepared to move up in tank size, then it would most certainly be a bad idea.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I think what a lot of people forget is that a goldfish is a type of CARP. You wouldn't keep a carp in a 5 gallon, so why a goldfish? They're large, messy fish that produce a LOT of waste, and they should be kept in groups being sociable fish. An ideal set-up is a MINIMUM 55 gallon, with a small amount of fish (4 or 5 tops), with regular water changes. This might seem sparse but unless you have a lot of time to maintain a smaller tank, this is the most manageable scenario.

As jo3olous has already pointed out, comets are actually quite a bit larger (potentially) than your average goldfish. With they're tails, they can grow up to 1 and a half feet. That is definately bigger than your average 5 gallon.

And when MissFishy says small living quarters stunts a fishes growth it's very true. I acquired a goldfish from someone a few years ago, they'd had it for a year in one of those tiny plastic "start-up" bowls. They'd got it the same day I got one of mine, as an LFS has set up a stall at a local school fair (but in a large plastic trough, not your average bags hanging on a rail). This goldfish when I was given it was about 4 inches long as opposed to mine being a good 8 inches, and it didn't grow any noticeable amount for a good two years after when it suddenly died.

As a goldfish keeper I sincerely hope you don't try this little "experiment" because it's never going to end nicely. If anything, goldfish can be harder to look after and maintain happily than a good proportion of your common tropical fish.

Oh and just a quick note, your goldfish will eat your ghost shrimp when it grows, simple as.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
It is cruel to keep a goldfish in a small tank. Goldfish can live up to 20 years and regular comets reach up to 12 inches long, that's almost bigger than a 5 gallon tank alone! By keeping it in a small area like that, you will be stunting its growth (a bad/cruel thing to do). Also, a 5gallon tank is too small to develop the amount of good bacteria it would need to keep up with the bioload of a goldfish. They have high amounts of waste and need larger tanks that can sustain them, it's not just about the swimming room.
i had no idea goldfish could live that long !
i know certain birds can outlive there owners but !! LOL

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You have to also realize that the goldfish you buy in stores as feeders are really just babies, they are nowhere near their adult size. Like any baby fish, keeping it in a tiny tank will stunt its growth and ultimately kill it. Please don't attempt this, even as an "experiment" with life as someone else suggested.

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
Cayucos Beach, California
Wow. I've had 8 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for almost a year now. Mine are spoiled. I have a filter and I change the water maybe twice a month if they are lucky. Cold water is so easy to keep clean for me. It's my 36 gallon heated tank that is more work. I saved my goldfish from an outside pond that we filled up with dirt. They are not too big. I had 5and added 3 from the pet shop that were 12 cents each........chose to invest in expensive filter. thinking of buying a 5 gallon corner tank for work and putting some in it.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Wow. I've had 8 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for almost a year now. Mine are spoiled. I have a filter and I change the water maybe twice a month if they are lucky. Cold water is so easy to keep clean for me. It's my 36 gallon heated tank that is more work. I saved my goldfish from an outside pond that we filled up with dirt. They are not too big. I had 5and added 3 from the pet shop that were 12 cents each........chose to invest in expensive filter. thinking of buying a 5 gallon corner tank for work and putting some in it.
Just because the water is clear does not mean it is clean. :(

Have you ever tested the water? you know, for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? because I daresay your nitrates at the least are through the roof. :( If you really want to spoil your goldfish, check their water quality and get them into a situation in which you can keep nitrates at least below 40, preferably below 20, and ammonia at or very, very near 0 at all times.

Just because goldfish 'can' survive in crowded conditions doesn't mean they should. **Note that I only suggested the above-mentioned experiment with water tests, water changer, and larger tank all close at hand, because it will not work for any appreciable amount of time. That was the whole point.

If you can't afford a larger tank, maybe you have a large rubbermaid container you could set up for your fish.

sparky0413

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
*SUNSMILE*HELLO , I have a 20gal hex tank with 2 comets and 1 pleco.
Comets: "Big Sparky" , is 6 inches /Sparky Jr is 2 inches . and Hoover (the pleco) is about 4 iches.
. Should I dare get another comet ?

sparky0413

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
Ok, everyone, I think the point has been driven home to Mr. Fishy, to the point where this poor guy might feel overwhelmed with information and beaten over the head with it .
its admirable to be passionate about fish not getting hurt by a small tank,but there is also a first time fish owner here , with feelings too !

Mr Fishy, If Im representing your feelings incorrectly, I will back off, but thats just the way this thread seems to me.

Last edited:

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
This post is a good few months old, the subject has passed.

And no, you should not get another comet. The tank is already overstocked as it is. For your current set-up you need at least 40 gallons just for the comets, and depending on what "pleco" you have (I assume it'll be a common pleco which reaches a good 2 feet in time.. tends to be the case, correct me if wrong), 75 gallons at least.

sparky0413

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
ok, heres an emergency question. Big sparky is swimming slowly and his mouth isnt closing all the way .. What the heck does this mean? I saw someone else posta question about "my comet has lock jaw"? Is this possible. We already looked in his mouth for foreign object, none.,

help