Goldfish

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
they're definitely too big for your tank and they'll just get bigger. they look good though. as for real plants, I wouldn't put real plants for your tank. your goldfishes will eat them and produce even more pooh. If I remember correctly, male goldfishes have black spots on their gills.

Oh! your pleco needs a hiding spot. do you have a cave for him?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol, the black spot will not determine if its a male/female. overall size is best to determine this, and can be next to impossible because you need to compare goldfish of the same age and living conditions to be accurate.

So it will likely not be possible to tell unless you have one male and one female and they breed. then you could tell which is the male because he will be slimmer and the female will be really fat and bursting with eggs.

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
hmm... that's what I remembered from way back when I killed 6 goldfishes in a month a couple of yrs ago. 4 XL ranchus and 2 fancytails. pet store sold them fully aware that I only had 10 gals. sadly I jumped into the whole thing w/o research. lesson learned.

Sep 26, 2009
Hoover (the pleco) hides in either the right or left corner of the tank behind either of the tall plants. If they prefer a cave, I would buy one, but then wont that crowd the Goldfish, even more ?

Do the Sparkys look healty ?

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
the sparkys look pretty good to me but mind you, as they say you never know with fishes. good one day and then....

as for hoover you don't need to get him a big cave. I just made a cave with rocks. Actually, my clown loach got dibs on the cave and he sometimes shares it with my red-tailed shark. my pleco hides behind the big leaves of the plants behind it.

Attachments