Noob needs opinion(s)

New Fish
Apr 13, 2009
I just had a few questions for the experienced fish keepers of the forums, I stumbled onto this forum, reading up on tank setups maintenance and fish types, long story short, My girlfriend and I are going to be starting a tank and want to make sure we do everything right, so we don't neglect any of the fish we will get, We have a Bow front, 16 gallon tank. and I've been reading that the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and setup especially for beginners, I feel confident enough to get started with the pH levels and everything and our tank came with a detailed booklet on how to get things going, I was wondering though how many fish would be ideal for a 16 gallon Bow tank? I don't want to cramp them and would like to get a decent variety of maybe 3 different kinds of fish. We like the neon tetras, and my girlfriend wanted to get maybe another kind of tetra, and she really liked the ghost catfish. so we were thinking of getting 3 fish to start with and maybe a max of about 7-8 for our tank, she also mentioned liking the little frogs I can't remember their exact name,just was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or things to look for.

appreciate it guys and awesome community you have here.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
I just had a few questions for the experienced fish keepers of the forums, I stumbled onto this forum, reading up on tank setups maintenance and fish types, long story short, My girlfriend and I are going to be starting a tank and want to make sure we do everything right, so we don't neglect any of the fish we will get, We have a Bow front, 16 gallon tank. and I've been reading that the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and setup especially for beginners, I feel confident enough to get started with the pH levels and everything and our tank came with a detailed booklet on how to get things going, I was wondering though how many fish would be ideal for a 16 gallon Bow tank? I don't want to cramp them and would like to get a decent variety of maybe 3 different kinds of fish. We like the neon tetras, and my girlfriend wanted to get maybe another kind of tetra, and she really liked the ghost catfish. so we were thinking of getting 3 fish to start with and maybe a max of about 7-8 for our tank, she also mentioned liking the little frogs I can't remember their exact name,just was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or things to look for.

appreciate it guys and awesome community you have here.
first of all welcome to the tank
great bunch of folks here
i would first read up on cycling your tank before even thinking of getting fish ( trust me !)then get yourself a good test kit ( API Master test kit is great around $30 )
as far as stocking the more experienced folks will have to chime in ! LOL
good luck

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Tetras should be in a school of at least 6 or so. If you get smaller tetras you could possibly do two schools, especially if you plant the tank. I personally would go for one school of tetras and a fish of a more solitary nature to contrast with the tetras.

Yeah, do read up on cycling before you do anything at all. Also, unless your tap water is really unusual, you should leave the ph alone. Its importance is overrated, and it's difficult to keep steady once you start monkeying around with it.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Sounds like you've done some preliminary research, good for you! Time to read up on how to cycle a tank before you get your fish though, take a look at the stickies in the forum or the link in my signature for some basic cycling information. Believe me, it will save you a lot of time and $ in the long run to learn this stuff now!