Can't get the tank to be clear?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
It sounded like a thread where some guys says he has a large mouth bass and three catfish in a 20 gallon...

This tank has bigger problems than cloudy water and you need to either shell out hundreds of dollars on new tank, heater, and filter to keep these guys alive in the next week or two or return them.

Jun 21, 2008
in all honesty, if people just googled bios on fish they want before actually purchasing them, they wouldn't be stuck with oscars in a 20G tank. and BTW, designsonyou said it's okay to have 2 oscars in a 55... I'm gonna have to give you fits about that because sinisterkisses went off on me. 1 oscar = 50G of water, 2 oscar = 100G of water, end.
Hey Jo - I'm fine with being wrong on that. I'm pretty sure I qualified it with either a "maybe" or an "I think", or both. I also mentioned at some point that I don't keep oscars, so I'm not sure. I was thinking that 2 55 gallons would be a lot better than 1 15, or a 25 or whatever it turned out to be, but yeah, oscars need space, so I'll go with you on this one.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I tested the ph of the water before I put the fish in and it seemed fine. I'll test it again tomorrow when I get home and give you the numbers and see what else I can get to test the water. I'm really new to actually trying to do more than not kill them so I didn't cycle the tank since until yesterday I didn't even know what that was. I'm still in the dark some, but I'm reading a lot on here and everywhere else I can trying to learn. I found some water clarifier from Top Fin at Pet Smart but I didn't wanna jump on that if it wasn't going to solve my problem.
Purchase an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test as well. Its important to monitor these levels especially when doing a "fish-in" cycle like you are doing. Small amounts of ammonia and nitrite are toxic to our fish. In other words, it is poison that will harm and potentially kill the fish.
SO you will have to do regular partial water changes to reduce those levels in your tank.

Desired levels= ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate under 20ppm

It could take several weeks for your tank to complete its cycle.

As for ph you don't have to worry about that too much. You just want it to be stable.

Do you have a neighbor or friend with an established tank? If so you may be able to quicken this process by borrowing filter material or decorations from his/her tank.

And yes keep reading and learning. I've been at this for 8 yrs+ and there is still sooo much to learn.:)

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
are you using your bluegills as an example? I don't even know how they came into the conversation :confused:
Because the following comment was made at the beginning of this thread:
I understand that they're all small now, but with those fish you may still have problems with aggression. You should also plan for the adult size of your fish, and unless you're upgrading to at least a 55 gallon, you won't be able to keep these fish healthy for long. I believe that at most you'd probably want the 2 oscars in a 55 gallon, and another for the jack dempseys.
Oscars and Jack Dempseys are considered to be aggressive fish that need lots of room. Bluegills are very aggressive too. Put them in an empty tank and they fight. I've seen it. That's why I offered the tip about breaking up the line of sight in the tank.

This thread was about cloudy water. Bluegills are also extremely messy fish. I've experienced cloudy water. I figured I'd share some things that worked for me regarding filters, carbon etc. with mbullman. Things that will help with cloudy water problems.

Apr 24, 2009
Wow. First things first, the two oscars and one dempsey are all buddies. The swim together like their a school or something. The other Dempsey just hides in a fake rock, so they seem happy for now. I know I've only got a little time to get the bigger tank so I'm getting on that.

The cloudiness seems to be going away ever so slightly...

The reason for the water I chose was because our water here is HORRIBLE. It's VERY alkaline and has A LOT of chlorine and crap in it. I did notice today that the tank is starting to stink a little. Will adding the charcoal help this? I'm about to do a water change and I'm sure that will help a little.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Wow. First things first, the two oscars and one dempsey are all buddies. The swim together like their a school or something. The other Dempsey just hides in a fake rock, so they seem happy for now. I know I've only got a little time to get the bigger tank so I'm getting on that.

The cloudiness seems to be going away ever so slightly...

The reason for the water I chose was because our water here is HORRIBLE. It's VERY alkaline and has A LOT of chlorine and crap in it. I did notice today that the tank is starting to stink a little. Will adding the charcoal help this? I'm about to do a water change and I'm sure that will help a little.
it's because they're juves and haven't established territory. I would think if they are introduced at a young age like this that the 2 oscars will actually grow fond of each other; IDK about the dempsey though. I'm sure if you chose to kept them crammed together long enough they would start fighting, obv because one is taking living space to pee poo and dwell away from the other

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
If the ph is at 8 or less I wouldn't worry. PRIME works very well neutralizing Chlorine and detoxifying the ammonia in Chloramines. Very good stuff to use for water changes.

If you have a H.O.B. (hang on back) filter then adding a bag of carbon will remove smells and really clarify the water.

I don't know what you feed your fish but pellets, especially uneaten ones, fouls the water in my big tanks the quickest because it supplies nutrients for other types of bacteria.

Water changes are good.

Jun 21, 2008
Just wanted to throw this in there about the activated charcoal: while I do not recommend it for fish tanks (I know it was a type o, just clarifying what I'm saying) it apparently can be used to absorb poisons, etc. in humans. I think it is used sometimes in emergency rooms, and also as a homeopathic remedy. Here's a link. Some of the stories are kind of descriptive, but it's interesting if anyone wants to read it. If not, nevermind the hijack and sorry. Ailments from A-Z cured or helped with activated charcoal on Earth Clinic, your source for natural remedies!

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
G.A.C. (granular activated carbon) is made by adding certain chemicals or elements to the medium before it is turned into carbon. It helps create an unbelievably high surface area to a very small amount of the stuff. Certain types of impurities "adsorb" on to the surface of the carbon rather than "absorb" into it.

Carbon is useful for removing certain impurities such as some metals and volatile chemicals. A volatile chemical is one that evaporates quickly or has a low boiling point, like gasoline or paint thinner.

Carbon is good at purifying water but not disinfecting it. It won't remove viruses, bacteria or microbes. It will "polish" the water in a fish tank and make it crystal clear, but the parameters can still be off regarding nitrites and ammonia.

I've switched from using it full-time in my tanks to once in a while.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I would watch out using water clarifier. That stuff is a coagulant and while it may be safe for fish when used correctly it doesn't address the reason for the cloudiness.

It treats the symptom rather than the cause.