Tannins and water color

kizy

New Fish
May 1, 2009
Hi, I'm a true newbie to all of this fish tank stuff, but have always loved fish so I wanted to try to keep some. I was setting up my tank and letting it run for a while before getting any fish and I noticed the water turning a yellow-brown color. After a little while I figured out that it was the wood in the tank so I have since seperated the wood and am currently soaking it to try and remove as much tannin as possible....My question: is there a way that I can control the amount of tannin in the fish tank? Because I liked the natural backwater look of the tank when it was slightly stained, but in order for me to keep it at an acceptable level, I would have to do water changes every couple of days and then the color of the water would constantly be shifting. I would like to remove as much tannins as possible from the wood so it has little to no effect on the water and then artificially add tannins. Is there some kind of "tannins in a bottle" product that I can buy? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :D

There's really no way to control the rate (or how much) tannins that driftwood leaks. After a few days, weeks or months, your driftwood will stop making the water yellow. You could look into blackwater extract (an additive) for the long term. I think Seachem makes it.

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
Hi, I'm a true newbie to all of this fish tank stuff, but have always loved fish so I wanted to try to keep some. I was setting up my tank and letting it run for a while before getting any fish and I noticed the water turning a yellow-brown color. After a little while I figured out that it was the wood in the tank so I have since seperated the wood and am currently soaking it to try and remove as much tannin as possible....My question: is there a way that I can control the amount of tannin in the fish tank? Because I liked the natural backwater look of the tank when it was slightly stained, but in order for me to keep it at an acceptable level, I would have to do water changes every couple of days and then the color of the water would constantly be shifting. I would like to remove as much tannins as possible from the wood so it has little to no effect on the water and then artificially add tannins. Is there some kind of "tannins in a bottle" product that I can buy? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Activated Carbon or AC as is commonly refered to (preferably Bitumas coal based).
Will remove the tannins. Cycleing the "IN" times of AC will allow you to moderate the amount with no negative effect on the water column

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
When I got my driftwood for my parrot tank it leaked bad even after soaking I used some filter media called Purigen cleared the water right up, once it turns brown you can recharge it with one part bleach and two parts water or something like that it will tell you on the label the exact mixture