Refilled my tank.. got 4 little fisheys

iceyfish

Small Fish
Apr 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Hey everyone, I recently filled up my old 30 gallon tank... had it empty for a couple months after my nice little Oscar and algae eater passed on... I left the old gravel in as well as the little castle and fake plastic reef. I tested the PH, Ammonia, and Nitrites after filling the tank up and letting the filter run for 7 days and all the levels seemed to be normal to their test sheets. I got 2 of these little orange fish as well as 2 of these silver dollar fish (wish i remembered the names!). The guy at the store said the ammonia will go up and I should do about a 5 gallon water swap which I did tonight, I will check the levels in a bit. Just wondering if there was a good fish resource site so I can look up what I have... thanks!

Jun 21, 2008
There are lots of good profiles on this site. I'm guessing the orange fish might be platys. Check out some pics and see if it's a match. I think the silver dollar fish are probably...silver dollars. Haha. Not making fun of you, it's just funny that you probably did get the name right. You should also read up on cycling a tank, there is some good info on MissFishy's page, it will help a lot. Welcome to the tank.

iceyfish

Small Fish
Apr 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Thanks, the orange ones have stripes. I went with the smallest sizes for the fishes because they were the cheapest and unfortunately sometimes they don't always make it. I used to be huge on cichlids but I am just not interested in the cleaning they required all the time. One of the orange ones is actually hiding in the castle and I'm afraid he may be struggling :(

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
if youve got the silver dollar fish that im thinking of (kinda flat and kinda tall but almost all silver) they can be really aggresive so you might wanna check up on them every now and then

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Those are angel fish and clown loaches. Angels are actually a type of cichlid. Clowns are actually pretty picky with water conditions and aren't recommended for new tanks. Since you let your tank sit around, all of your good bacteria will have to regrow which means your tank is starting at square one all over again. You will need to do many more water changes than 5 gallons to keep these fish alive. Take a peek at the stickies or the link below in my signature if you're rusty on how to cycle a tank.

iceyfish

Small Fish
Apr 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Thanks, they Clownfish continue to disappear into this castle, I haven't been able to find the 1 for awhile now, do they dig and hide under the gravel? I actually liked these ones better than the silver ones :( . I really want to have an easy tank to keep, does the water changing ever stop?

iceyfish

Small Fish
Apr 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Yes they are, the flash on the camera may have messed the photo up.. but they are nearly identical. They've been pretty active and seem great so far. I will most likely change some more water tomorrow.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
umm I believe the "silver dollar" fish are black skirt tetra (not 100%) but their not angelfish like the earlier picture you posted. Just to be sure I'd go to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and check out the freshwater fish. but it looks like you have Black Skirts (judging from the black stripe). Silver Dollar are very different from tetra but I'd also finish out the tetra school if they are tetra.

iceyfish

Small Fish
Apr 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Ahh it does look like the Black Skirt Tetra, thanks. Just checked my levels, Ammonia seems to be about the same, about 0 to .2sh. pH is roughly 8.0 to 8.2sh. I purchased some Turbo Start 700 Freshwater Conditioner to help quicken the tank cycle and correct Nitrites/Ammonia levels... it doesn't say if it's safe to add with the fish in though?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The first picture you posted was definitely an angel fish, the second batch though you show black skirt tetras? Do you have an angel fish or not?

One thing I noticed about your tank is that it doesn't provide much cover for your fish. You really need some taller plants in there to make them more comfortable. The clown loaches really aren't beginner fish and shouldn't be in uncycled tanks at all, you need to be doing regular water changes to keep the levels safe for them, daily if necessary. Otherwise I would recommend returning them until you are ready to keep them.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
Yeah those definitely look like Black Skirts(which are very pretty if I may add) and they're schooling fish. You'll need to get about 3 more, for a total of 5, to make them feel more comfortable. Otherwise they'll swim around neurotically scared out of their minds.

iceyfish

Small Fish
Apr 30, 2009
NJ, USA
I think this tank is a 30 gallon, I could be wrong it could be a 40 I honestly forget. The guy at the store recommended what I got for now and said I could add more after a week or so as long as I keep changing the water and such. I've got the TurboStart 700 which I haven't used yet, and also I found this old bottle of Sodium Biphosphate which is supposed to Reduce pH in small doses. Fish still seem great, I will probably to the 20-30% water change early tomorrow. The Clown Loaches are pretty awesome, I dropped in a TetraMin Tropical Tablet for them which says is good for Loaches (bottom feeders). I'd love to get two more of the silver ones (which I believe have been confirmed Black Tetras).

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
A quick way to figure out how many gallons your tank is is to multiply the height x width x length. Then take that total and divide by 231. The answer will be how many gallons the tank is.