Tank issues.

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida

This is my fish Buddy. had him since he was like 1 inch when i got him out of the canal.
He is now like 6 inches. I think he is a kind of sunfish but i am not sure what he is exactly, any ideas?

This is my tank. I believe its a 30 gallon.
I have a kribinsis thats about 2 1/2 inches and a pleco thats like 1 1/2 inches with him.
He constantly seems like he is hunting down my kribinsis and my plecos tail is getting nipped to death.
I like my kribinsis and so i was thinking of taking him and my pleco out
and putting them in a 10 gallon with my african clawed frog. along with another male kribinsis.
Is this ok? Also, some tips on breeding the kribensis?

Also is there anyfish that i can maybe put in my 30 gal tank with my bigger fish?
Maybe a fish his own size would be better?

Sorry for the such big pictures. Couldnt shrink them.

Last edited:

mini 77

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
widnes, cheshire england
Well that fish is definetly a cichlid. i'm not sure what one.
Erm i would take the other fish out yes.
i would probably buy a fish that is abit bigger than the one now, so it can stick up for its self. ask someone in your fish provider for advice...

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY

This is my fish Buddy. had him since he was like 1 inch when i got him out of the canal.
He is now like 6 inches. I think he is a kind of sunfish but i am not sure what he is exactly, any ideas?

This is my tank. I believe its a 30 gallon.
I have a kribinsis thats about 2 1/2 inches and a pleco thats like 1 1/2 inches with him.
He constantly seems like he is hunting down my kribinsis and my plecos tail is getting nipped to death.
I like my kribinsis and so i was thinking of taking him and my pleco out
and putting them in a 10 gallon with my african clawed frog. along with another male kribinsis.
Is this ok? Also, some tips on breeding the kribensis?

Also is there anyfish that i can maybe put in my 30 gal tank with my bigger fish?
Maybe a fish his own size would be better?

Sorry for the such big pictures. Couldnt shrink them.
First of all we all love pictures ! LOL
the only advice i can can give (also to bump this thread)if you put pleco in 10 gal he will outgrow his surroundings very fast.I had one in my sons 10gal and he now lives in a 550 gal pond !
and the one in my 20 gal will be joining him when the time comes ! LOL
im sure others will give some input
im looking into other option for algae eaters

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
i don't think putting the pleco or the krib in with the frog is a good idea. the frog shouldnt be in a tank with any fish small enough for it to eat. and your tank is just too small for your sunfish and pleco. I can't see the pix now, will look again later to ID the fish

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
African clawed frogs ain't big
that's not the point, the frog will try to eat the fish. and a 5 inch frog is pretty big if you ask me.

Also a pleco (if common) should be in nothing less than a 50G when it reaches 5-6 inches, and eventually will need 75-90G as it grows over 1foot in length. This fish has quite a life span, so unless you plan on putting it to sleep early I would prep for taking care of it or bring it in to a fish store before it's too big and no one wants it. good luck

Last edited:

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
Well, the frog is not all that big. It is like a inch. And i already moved them in together to the 10 gallon. Honestly, the krib likes to follow the frog around. almost like he is curious about him. And when he gets too close to his cave he chases him away. They seem to get along. It is kinda nice because the krib cleans up after the frog. As for the pleco, i plan on moving him to the what i beleive is a 30 gallon from the picture above, and moving that fish to a bigger tank. Besides, what are you gonna do about the pleco, i kinda need a alage cleaner.

As for the fish, any ideas on what it is?

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Well, the frog is not all that big. It is like a inch. And i already moved them in together to the 10 gallon. Honestly, the krib likes to follow the frog around. almost like he is curious about him. And when he gets too close to his cave he chases him away. They seem to get along. It is kinda nice because the krib cleans up after the frog. As for the pleco, i plan on moving him to the what i beleive is a 30 gallon from the picture above, and moving that fish to a bigger tank. Besides, what are you gonna do about the pleco, i kinda need a alage cleaner.

There are other algae eater options.
and just because there fine together now doesnt mean your not gonna wake up some morning or come home and say What the hell happened !

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Are you a hundred percent sure it's an african clawed frog and not an african dwarf frog?
Xenopus laevis - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki has a paragraph on how to tell, as well as some good info on the acf. If in fact it's an adf then it won't harm your fish.

As to the algae, you're much better off with a couple of otocinclus catfish. Otos are tiny, cute, and eat a crazy amount of algae, especially the brown kind. If you have hair algae you might consider florida flag fish. The pleco is just such a big hit on the bio load that it will become increasingly more difficult to keep water parameters in check.

Actually, the best approach to algae is to ferret out the root cause and correct it instead of looking for fish to eat it. How much light does the tank get -- both daylight and artificial? What is the nitrate level in the tank? If you run fluorescent lights, are the tubes more than six to nine months old? If so, that could possibly be a contributing factor. Are you sure you're not overfeeding? These are just a few things to consider when dealing with an algae problem.

Discover Life -- North American Invasives identification guide & checklist has pics and descriptions of quite a few New World cichlids. Would it be possible to post a clearer pic of your fish?

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
Are you a hundred percent sure it's an african clawed frog and not an african dwarf frog?
Xenopus laevis - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki has a paragraph on how to tell, as well as some good info on the acf. If in fact it's an adf then it won't harm your fish.

As to the algae, you're much better off with a couple of otocinclus catfish. Otos are tiny, cute, and eat a crazy amount of algae, especially the brown kind. If you have hair algae you might consider florida flag fish. The pleco is just such a big hit on the bio load that it will become increasingly more difficult to keep water parameters in check.

Actually, the best approach to algae is to ferret out the root cause and correct it instead of looking for fish to eat it. How much light does the tank get -- both daylight and artificial? What is the nitrate level in the tank? If you run fluorescent lights, are the tubes more than six to nine months old? If so, that could possibly be a contributing factor. Are you sure you're not overfeeding? These are just a few things to consider when dealing with an algae problem.

Discover Life -- North American Invasives identification guide & checklist has pics and descriptions of quite a few New World cichlids. Would it be possible to post a clearer pic of your fish?
Matter of fact i am rather familiar with African Clawed Frogs, and yes it is.

This is the clearest picture i am able to get right now.

As for the alage, it is regulary all day exposed to the sunlight and fluorescent light. I have no choice, i have a reptile on the other side of the room that needs the sunlight and i have no other place for the tank. I have not had a opportunity to get more nitrate test kits and i will probaly go get some more this week. I believe that the lights are about six months old, i did not know that could make alage worse. As for the otocinclus catfish, my fish is agressive and would probaly eat them. The Florida flagfish i looked into before because i thought it would be cool to put it in my tank considering that my fish is from florida and so am i, but it only grows about 2 1/2 to 3 inches my fish would probaly pick it to death considering it is already twice the size of it.

Also, how often should i check things like pH and nitrate and stuff like that?

Thanks a bunch guys, you guys have been a huge help.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I'm not a cichlid keeper, but he sure looks like a mayan to me, with that ring on his tail and all.

I have one of my tanks right beside a window. I took black foam board and fitted it around three sides of the tank. It cuts out the light, insulates my tank from temp changes due to the window, and also makes a good dark background for my fish. Plus, it's cheap. :)

I ever check pH unless I have cause to, like something being out of whack in my tank, or a change in the water supply. When I add or remove fish, change how often I feed them (seasonally, sometimes), or my fish grow considerably, I test nitrates weekly for a while to double check that I don't need to adjust my water change routine. Otherwise, every month or so is enough to let me know everything is as usual. Of course, whenever anything isn't right with the fish, I check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as a matter of course so something obvious doesn't get by me.

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

you don't NEED an algae cleaner. Plecos make a bigger mess than they clean up if anything. The algae cleaning:bioload ratio is not 1:1. Also if you have algae problems it's highly likely you are overfeeding your fish or your tank is getting too much light. I would cut down on the 2 before keeping the pleco. A Tank if lighted should not get more than 8-10 hours of light. An unplanted tank does not even need light, although some people argue fish need to know night from day

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
wow, thanks homebunny i now finally identified my fish. Thank you so much. I like looking up some info on taking care of it just in case of any special conditions for the tank. Anyone know anything or any sites?

Thanks for the advise. And i don't think it is overfeeding. I only give my fish 3 to 3 1/2 sticks of cihlid food, thats it. With the accational group of feeder fish and ghost shrimp. As for the covering of the tank, i would have to cover the front to keep the sunlight out of it. Should i just scrape the alage of the front and lides then? I also have live plants that need light.

Would you guys maybe using alage destroyer medicine?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
wow, thanks homebunny i now finally identified my fish. Thank you so much. I like looking up some info on taking care of it just in case of any special conditions for the tank. Anyone know anything or any sites?

Thanks for the advise. And i don't think it is overfeeding. I only give my fish 3 to 3 1/2 sticks of cihlid food, thats it. With the accational group of feeder fish and ghost shrimp. As for the covering of the tank, i would have to cover the front to keep the sunlight out of it. Should i just scrape the alage of the front and lides then? I also have live plants that need light.
Hmmm If you have live plants I would still keep the tank lit, but try to limit it's lighting to 8-10 hours daily. Any more than that and the algae will be benefitting

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Awwww you guys are always down on plecos lol. I love my plecos. If there is no algae..I still keep them.

If they ever get too large..find a store that will take one for trade or credit. larger plecos sell for a lot in my area.

My tank also get natural sunlight hitting it. I wondered why some of my rocks were getting more algae then anywhere else..here the sky light has sun comming through it like a sunbeam on the rocks.The room has almost all windows in it...so I get lots of natural light that is not even directly in it.

Also...Florescent lights as they age start producing light that is beneficial to algae growth and lose intensity. Usually after a year or so they may need replacement depending on how long you keep them on daily.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Awwww you guys are always down on plecos lol. I love my plecos. If there is no algae..I still keep them.

If they ever get too large..find a store that will take one for trade or credit. larger plecos sell for a lot in my area.

My tank also get natural sunlight hitting it. I wondered why some of my rocks were getting more algae then anywhere else..here the sky light has sun comming through it like a sunbeam on the rocks.The room has almost all windows in it...so I get lots of natural light that is not even directly in it.

Also...Florescent lights as they age start producing light that is beneficial to algae growth and lose intensity. Usually after a year or so they may need replacement depending on how long you keep them on daily.
Not on all plecos, *GOLDFISH* a lot of them are really cool. Commons for the most part, just get big, and they are a large bioload. Sure they eat algae in the tank, but they cannot eliminate algae completely. It's generally hard to give adult fish to any store, maybe your area is an exception. First, they take up space in store tanks. Second, they are harder too push, usually because they are 1/2 way through their lifespan and people just don't want the burden of caring for a big fish. You know a lot of people that purchase oscars, goldfish, plecos, pacu, and predatory fish have little knowledge and do not know the fish can even get so big, otherwise they would not have bought it.