Filter changing questions!

D'Cecilia

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2009
ive had my filter cartridge for about a month and a half.
should i get a new one???
or should i just clean it. and how do you clean it,
cus ive heard of people just cleaingn them but
im not too sure how to do so.

please hlep me out :D

Jan 29, 2009
MASS
it depends on what type. if it is carbon or contains carbon, swich it. if it has the "black Plastic" thingy with the blue pad on top, buy a new one. if you build it(you put carbon and other stuff in it) save the bag, blast it with water to get the gunk of, take out the old carbon(or other stuff) and put in new carbon. carbon needs to be changed every 3-4 weeks.

Jun 21, 2008
it depends on what type. if it is carbon or contains carbon, swich it. if it has the "black Plastic" thingy with the blue pad on top, buy a new one. if you build it(you put carbon and other stuff in it) save the bag, blast it with water to get the gunk of, take out the old carbon(or other stuff) and put in new carbon. carbon needs to be changed every 3-4 weeks.
I would disagree. Most people on here would say, (I think), that filters only need to be changed when they are falling apart or restricting water flow. Every time you throw a filter away, you're throwing away good bacteria. So, if it has carbon in it you can either just remove the carbon or replace that part periodically. Most filters can be cut apart so that you can remove the carbon and then keep the rest. I have the kind with the "black Plastic thingy with the blue pad on top", as scott describes it, and I have removed the carbon from the ones I'm using. Also, most of us on here don't use carbon all the time, but only if we are trying to remove meds or get tannins out of the water, or for some other special reason. As far as "blast it with water", rinsing the used filters is a good idea, to remove excess dirt, etc., but you should only rinse with dechlorinated water, as the chlorine in tap water will possibly kill the bacteria that you are trying to preserve. So, you shouldn't just put it under the sink and rinse. (There are debates about this too, but just assume it's true unless you want to get into the science of it yourself, as you're better safe than sorry.)

Jan 29, 2009
MASS
ok ive had this filter before, lol. ok. take the carbon out, and the black thing out. with the bag, wash it out with no soap, just water. replace the black thing and put in new carbon, put it under running water till all of the black is out, or the water comes out clear.

Jan 29, 2009
MASS
I would disagree. Most people on here would say, (I think), that filters only need to be changed when they are falling apart or restricting water flow. Every time you throw a filter away, you're throwing away good bacteria. So, if it has carbon in it you can either just remove the carbon or replace that part periodically. Most filters can be cut apart so that you can remove the carbon and then keep the rest. I have the kind with the "black Plastic thingy with the blue pad on top", as scott describes it, and I have removed the carbon from the ones I'm using. Also, most of us on here don't use carbon all the time, but only if we are trying to remove meds or get tannins out of the water, or for some other special reason. As far as "blast it with water", rinsing the used filters is a good idea, to remove excess dirt, etc., but you should only rinse with dechlorinated water, as the chlorine in tap water will possibly kill the bacteria that you are trying to preserve. So, you shouldn't just put it under the sink and rinse. (There are debates about this too, but just assume it's true unless you want to get into the science of it yourself, as you're better safe than sorry.)
i was on the right track. but i just swiched to bio balls, due to my filter upgrade. its been 3 months scince i used carbon.

D'Cecilia

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2009
so i should get more carbon?
or can i just get rid of the excess junk?

cus i dont have money to buy more of that
carbon at the moment.
do you guys think it would be good for now
if i just rinse it and get rid of the the excess
stuff or wait till i can get soem carbon?

Jun 21, 2008
Also, most of us on here don't use carbon all the time, but only if we are trying to remove meds or get tannins out of the water, or for some other special reason. As far as "blast it with water", rinsing the used filters is a good idea, to remove excess dirt, etc., but you should only rinse with dechlorinated water, as the chlorine in tap water will possibly kill the bacteria that you are trying to preserve.
As I said before, you can just remove the carbon and rinse the rest of the filter with dechlorinated water. Most of us don't use carbon all the time.

D'Cecilia

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2009
ahahah yeah i have been reading it all, but some
of it is kinda confusing. like ive said before, this is
my firts time ever keeping fish, ahah so i have no
clue on what to do most of the time!
but thanx alot for you info, you have been one of
the most helpful people in here, ahah :D

i'll try to do that tonight. ahah :D

thank you again for the help

just one more question out of curiosity.
Why is it okay to just leave the carbon out?
or what is it for?

Jun 21, 2008
Ok. I've just noticed in your other posts that you seem to want really cut and dried, this is how to do this, answers, and they often just don't exist in this hobby.

As far as the carbon goes, basically it's chemical filtration, which can help to remove some things from the water, but it seems to be unnecessary for it to be there all of the time. I think I've read on here somewhere that people feel like it's actually bad for the tank to use it constantly, because it can lower the fishes immune systems. But, I might be mixing it up with UV sterilization. I don't know the specifics of it beyond that, but someone more chemically inclined could help more.

Feb 27, 2009
just one more question out of curiosity.
Why is it okay to just leave the carbon out?
or what is it for?
There is no need for carbon unless you are trying to remove medication from your tank. The surface area of the carbon itself adsorbs (as opposed to absorbs) chemicals from the water flow. Once all the surface are has something 'stuck' to it, it won't do anything more for your aquarium. The carbon itself is completely used up within days so can be removed anytime with no ill-effects.

If you have plants, you definitely do NOT want carbon in your filter. It will remove the chemicals your plants need to thrive.

As to your filter pad itself, several different points of advice have been given here. Whatever you do, DON'T rinse the used filter pad in running water. This will only destroy the beneficial bacteria you have established. The idea is not to make the pad 'clean' but to make it clean enough to not impede water flow through your filter.

The way I have always done it (I no longer have that type of filter) is while doing a water change, after you've taken out all the water you want to remove, rinse the pad in the 'old' fish water to remove the gunk that has accumulated. That way the water is the same temperature and already dechlorinated.

Last edited:

D'Cecilia

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2009
thanks for the clarification about carbon orangecones! :D
it is greatly apreciated.
and ill be sure to check out that store in Phoenix you
were talking about.
Me and my gf have been planning on visiting some
other big store up in phoenix, so we'll try to look for
that one since we'll be up ther anyways. :D
ahah
so thankx alot!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I use the pengiun biowheel filters and I just wait till the water starts flowing over the overflow to clean them. but I just put them under the faucet and lightly scrub them and tap them till all the water running through it runs clear. but as long as ur carful the filters can last over a year like the ones I have in ym 55. they may not look real great but they still work which is good enough for me.