Question about betta fins.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
I have one of my bettas in a 5 gallon bow front aquarium and recently I noticed his tail fin has split into two. I see no sign of fin/tail rot. There's no fungus and he looks healthy. Hasn't lost any color and he eats well. He still has his purky personality too. Is it possible he just ripped his fin somehow? He was the first betta I bought and I'm really attached to him. Any help or insight will be much appreciated.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
It is possible. Are there any plastic plants or other items that could be sharp for him to tear his tail on?

How are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

Also, does he have someplace to rest besides on the bottom? Sometimes when they rest often on the bottom, they can have problems with picking up a bit of fin rot from dragging their tail across the substrate all the time.

Moshi-Cat

Medium Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Pinellas Park, FL
If he looks fine besides the rip then there's a good chance that he just caught it on something in the tank and ripped it. I'd just keep an eye on it. If you notice it starting to heal in the next few days he snagged it on something in the tank so look for anthing sharp, even plastic plants, that might have caused it. Someone else could probably suggest a supplement to get him healing even quicker.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
A little Bettafix couldn't hurt. It's anitbacterial. Also, keep the water pristine while he heals up.

NOTE: Don't use Melafix for your betta unless you want to research the proper dosage. At the amount recommended for other fish, it can burn his labyrinth organ. Bettafix is a watered-down version at the proper strength for bettas.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
I don't have any plastic plants. Just some real ones. It's healing up nicely, by the way. You can barely even notice he ripped it. I asked a friend of mine, who breeds them, and she said it's common for them to rip their fins. There's no fungus at all so thank goodness for that. I have some anubias in here now but I don't like the way it grows so I'm taking it out. What sort of plant do you suggest for a tank that only has a 15W incandescent bulb?

There's zero ammonia in the water but I'm not sure about my nitrate/nitrite. I used the last of my test kit up. He seems to be doing great though. Still perky and eating well.

I did Google it. Then I came here to get more opinions. That's the point of a forum, right?

Jun 21, 2008
Rexy - I don't think ValRasbora's response was directed at you. I'm pretty sure it was in response to HomeBunny, who replied the same thing to another one of her posts in a different thread. Don't worry, you're doing fine. As far as plants, you could look up hornwort. I don't remember much about it, but I think it's low light. Someone else might have a better idea though.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Java fern is good for betta tanks. The low, broad leaves give them somewhere to rest other than the bottom. Java moss is also supposed to be good for the water quality. It can be used in betta bowls without filtration to keep nitrites and, I think, nitrates down between water changes. Here's one reference java moss

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
Java Fern...Hmm...I'll look that up. Sounds like a good suggestion. Java Moss is at the top of my "Plants I want to get" list lol. I think it's so neat how it attaches to things. I bought some nice big river stones for it. I'm going up to my LFS tomorrow to see if they have any. If not, where's a good place to order it from? Is that possible to order plants over the internet? Meaning...do they come in the mail in good condition?

I have hornwort in my 10 gallon and I'm really enjoying it. My shrimp absolutely love hiding in the stuff and eating bits and pieces of food that get caught between the bristles.

I'm taking the white ribbon out of the tank now. It isn't doing well and someone pointed out to me that it may even be a strictly terrestrial plant. Which upsets me because I bought it at a store that claimed it was an aquatic plant.

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
hey rexytexel
off topic but i was wondering how your cavy was doing and if you were still thinking about getting a getting a texel? i used to raise abyssinians many moons ago. i had to look up texels to see what they looked like they are awesome! i also like the teddies.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
hey rexytexel
off topic but i was wondering how your cavy was doing and if you were still thinking about getting a getting a texel? i used to raise abyssinians many moons ago. i had to look up texels to see what they looked like they are awesome! i also like the teddies.
He's doing fine. Just cleaned his cage today and he was popcorning all over the place. He's such a cuite pant. I LOVE Abbys. I wanted one so bad but the only ones I could find were females and I really prefer males.

If I'm remembering correctly, stress coat has aloe in it that helps speed up the healing process.
I was going to buy some but the day I went out to get it I noticed that his tail had almost healed completely. Still no signs of any sort of infection so I'm thinking he's doing well.