Tank issues.

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
No, you should focus more on the fish you currently have considering you don't have proper housing for them and the mix you have isn't exactly good. You can add whatever you want though, I suggest nothing.
You re getting tanks mixed up. I have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon. The 55 gallon that has my Mayan cichlid and my 10 gallon that has my krib and my ACF. My only real issue was with my fish in the 30 gallon. Now that i know what it is i have no real issue. The only issue i really have is finding a fish to put in with my mayan cichlid that grows to a similar size. I think that i am just going to go back to the lake down the street. By the way, my mayan cichlid is gonna be moved to a 55 gallon soon and i don't plan on getting another fish tell then.

As for the 10 gallon with the krib and ACF. I wanted to experiment with the ACF and the krib together. Honestly i am more worried about the frog more then the krib because my krib will have his bad days and bite at my frog when he gets to close. I am pretty sure that they will be fine together for now. It seems my krib can hold his own. Besides i should have another tank set up soon for my frog soon.

I have been keeping fish tanks for years so i am not really a rookie anymore, i am not a expert, but not a rookie either. But i still need a little help.

So i ask again if anyone has any ideas of fish that would go with my fish?

Also, how often would you change my water in the 30 gallon? Also how often should i change the water when it gets to a 55 gallon? How often should i vacum the tank?

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
You re getting tanks mixed up. I have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon. The 55 gallon that has my Mayan cichlid and my 10 gallon that has my krib and my ACF. My only real issue was with my fish in the 30 gallon. Now that i know what it is i have no real issue. The only issue i really have is finding a fish to put in with my mayan cichlid that grows to a similar size. I think that i am just going to go back to the lake down the street. By the way, my mayan cichlid is gonna be moved to a 55 gallon soon.

As for the 10 gallon with the krib and ACF. I wanted to experiment with the ACF and the krib together. Honestly i am more worried about the frog more then the krib because my krib will have his bad days and bite at my frog when he gets to close. I am pretty sure that they will be fine together for now. It seems my krib can hold his own. Besides i should have another tank set up soon for my frog soon.

I have been keeping fish tanks for years so i am not really a rookie anymore, i am not a expert, but not a rookie either.

So i ask again if anyone has any ideas of fish that would go with my fish?
*crazysmil WHOOPS! thought they were all in 1 tank. So what kind of stocking are you trying to do with the 30?

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
*crazysmil WHOOPS! thought they were all in 1 tank. So what kind of stocking are you trying to do with the 30?
If they were all in one tank i would be insane. I had to take my pleco and my krib out of the 30 gallon and seperate them because my mayan cichlid was hunting them.
As for my big fish I am just looking for a fish that isn't completely ugly that it can go with. I find that these bigger fish tend to be very interesting, so i decided to do some really big fish for the 1st time. So i am just looking for interesting fish that get big enough to go in my tank. I could probally fit 1 more fish the same size as him in the tank with him. i just don't know what that is gonna be, That is where i need help now. It needs to get close to the same size as my fish in the end.

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
There are red mayan cichlids? that is awsome. I have to wait for my canal to fill up again and fish to move back in. It has been raining alot so it shouldn't take long.

I forgot to ask, my fish is horrible at digging up everything. Making himself a home i guess, is there any way to maybe prevent him or protect the live plants i want to have in there? Or am i stuck with using fake plants or no plants. :(

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
There are red mayan cichlids? that is awsome. I have to wait for my canal to fill up again and fish to move back in. It has been raining alot so it shouldn't take long.

I forgot to ask, my fish is horrible at digging up everything. Making himself a home i guess, is there any way to maybe prevent him or protect the live plants i want to have in there? Or am i stuck with using fake plants or no plants. :(

most of the large south african cichlids are better off with little/no decor, maybe some rocks for hiding. They usually will re-arrange stuff in the tank to however they feel, and there's nothing you can do lol. Oscars do this for example.

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
You think i should just do some regular brim and sunfish with it from out of the canal, maybe some bluegill? or what?

That kinda stinks with the fake plant thing, but what are you gonna due. I might be able to come up with a sweet lookin rock and driftwood formation in the tank.

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
You don't know how helpful that was bunny. I read it and got all the info i needed. I think i might still put some sunfish or something from the canal in the tank because i have always wanted to do a tank with fish from the local waters. And i have a easy way out if they start fighting or are not compatible, go put them back in the canal. This was a big help though thank you.

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
You don't know how helpful that was bunny. I read it and got all the info i needed. I think i might still put some sunfish or something from the canal in the tank because i have always wanted to do a tank with fish from the local waters. And i have a easy way out if they start fighting or are not compatible, go put them back in the canal. This was a big help though thank you.
Do you think a stingray would be a good thing to put in with it maybe?

Sorry, accedently clicked quote instead of edit.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Well, I think you would need a lot more tank than you're going to have to keep them properly, although I've done only the most rudimentary research on them. I understand they can be kind of hard to keep, and also any fish that is territorial and spends time on the bottom probably would be a bad choice. I think maybe one of them would end up dead before long. But, I don't know, as I said I haven't looked into it extensively. Maybe someone here has kept rays and can enlighten us both.

Gilly

Small Fish
May 4, 2009
Florida
I am having issues finding fish to keep with it. Like i said, the only thing i could think to do is put fish that are from the canal that are similar size in with him.