Air Pump VS Filtration System

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Air pumps are mostly aesthetic. The introduce nearly no dissolved oxygen to the water. However, they may agitate it a bit and that might help.

I had air pumps in my tanks and shut them off as they caused water to splash upon and stain the glass covers of my tanks.

No, fish cannot survive with only air pumps. I see in your signature that you have a 44 gallon tank. Tell us what kind of filtration, etc., you are running in it.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I have a 10 gallon tank that my mother in law gave me. She only had two air pumps running it! How do I set this up and can fish survive with only air pumps?
Sounds like it could have been setup to have an Under gravel filter at one point? Back in the day, you would have a plate under the gravel and two tubes in the rear comming up from the plate. The airpumps had airstones that created the flow, each in a tube. The water would be filtered through the gravel and down under the plate and up the tubes flowing with the air bubbles.

Things got really advanced with pumps added and even..reverseflow . I even had one of these at one point lol. The problem was the dirt eventually got under the plate and you had to remove sections to clean under it. Also the gravel could not get let go or it would block flow.

I would just get a mini aquaclear or small filter.

Last edited: