Filter Cartridge advice

May 3, 2009
I have an Emperor 400 which I've been using in my newly set-up planted aquarium. I've read that its best not to use the carbon activated cartridges long term (for plants anyway) and I've been looking at alternatives.
I've read you can use ceramic noodles but is it just a matter of placing the noodles into the grey container or is there something else I need to do?
Also can I leave the cartridges in there so I don't lose the bacteria or does all need to be discarded?
Thanks for any input.

Feb 27, 2009
Also can I leave the cartridges in there so I don't lose the bacteria or does all need to be discarded?
Thanks for any input.
The carbon will be 'used up' within a few days. There is really no need to use it unless you need to remove medication after a treatment.

You can make a slit in the cartridge the filter came with and shake the carbon out. Just make sure that when rinsing the cartridge that you do it in the water you are removing from the tank during your water changes. That way, you are not shocking the bacteria. The cartridge can be re-used for a long time (I have 2 that I've had over 5 years now). Don't believe what the fish store or the company that made your filter says about replacing it every few weeks. They just want to sell you a new cartridge.

Good luck with your aquarium! *BOUNCINGS