One step forward...2 steps back

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
so I thought we were almost done with my fish in cycle. Ammonia was lower. nitrites came up a little, nitrates started rising. Then everything went haywire. No nitrites, no nitrates, and ammonia going up. What could have caused this to restart? I am not putting any weird chemicals in the tank. Just doing water changes when ammonia gets to 1. Only using water conditioner. Anything I can do to speed up this process? Is it true that when the water gets cloudy that is a good thing? I thought I understood all of this and now I am confused again. It's been 5 weeks now

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Did you change the filter or rinse anything in the tank out? That could have caused a problem.

In some ways it's good if you see a slight milky cloudiness, as it indicates the bacteria are multiplying.

There's not really anything you can do to speed the process up, unfortunately.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
which water conditioner are you using? If you are using one like prime that detoxifies the ammonia nitrite and nitrate in the tank then it would take away the nitrite and nitrates and those bacteria would have nothing to feed on.

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
I don't have the bottle handy but I know it isn't prime. It just says is removes chlorine and Chloramine from tap water. I did make the mistake about 2 weeks ago of using the ammonia drops, and I heard that can delay the process, but with all the ater changes I have been doing I would have thought it would be gone now. I haven't changed the filter or done anything else. SO how long could this take?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
That is odd. So you are adding ammonia and it isn't going away? The sign of a completely cycled tank is when you can add some ammonia in the morning and it is gone by the evening. You can raise the temperature to speed it along, around 85 works (if there are no fish in there of course!).

CoryGuru

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2009
SF
Try using something called Nutrafin Cycle. You can buy it online, but the more advanced, newer & improved, more effective one is sold at Petco.
It accelerates the establishment of the bacterial colonies who eat ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Feb 27, 2009
which water conditioner are you using? If you are using one like prime that detoxifies the ammonia nitrite and nitrate in the tank then it would take away the nitrite and nitrates and those bacteria would have nothing to feed on.
PRIME does not interfer with the nitrogen cycle. The beneficial bacteria that consume ammonia can use the free (toxic) form or the more harmless (non-toxic) form.