Almost ready to add more fish. Some questions / advice...

Jun 6, 2009
My wife and I started our first tank some months ago and we have finally decided to upgrade from a 15 gallon rectangular tank to a 30 gallon hexagon tank (which we have already bought and are currently getting the water ready for transferring our fish). We've done really well regulating/cycling our water and providing our fish with a healthy, happy environment.

So, believing that we are now ready for an upgrade, we will obviously want to add more fish. We have some ideas, but I figured I'd run them by the good folks on this forum first.

First off, our current stock consists of:

1 Black Sailfin Molly (male)
1 Short-finned Silver Molly (male)
2 Gold Dust Lyretail Mollies (female)
1 Silver Wag Platy (female)
1 Red Wag Platy (female)

We also keep several live plants.

Now, for the fish we'd like to add... We've talked about getting a betta the most, but are hesitant due to the aggressive nature of bettas. We have researched on the matter via the internet, but there is just so much conflicting information out there. We've asked clerks at our local pet store and they all seem to offer different opinions as well. We're also aware that some mollies have a tendency to nip at the fins of bettas in some cases. In fact, our silver molly nipped at our sailfin molly for a few days, but seemed to stop the behavior after that. They've been living peacefully together for months now with no further nipping problems from the silver molly.

If we did get a betta, we would only get one, of course. We'd prefer to get a male due to the selection of males at our local store being much more beautiful and perky than the females. So my question is, do you think it would be a problem for a male betta to coexist with our current stock? If not... how about a female?

Next we'd like to get an algae eater of some kind. However, algae eaters tend to grow quite large from what we have researched. Can someone recommend a small algae eater for our upcoming 30 gallon hexagon tank?

Next on the wish list would be a Black Moor Goldfish. However, do to the swiftness of the other fish, we are concerned that feeding this type of fish could perhaps pose a problem due to poor eyesight and being a slower swimmer.

I would appreciate any insight that you all would like to share. And please, feel free to make suggestions of different kinds of fish to add to the current stock.

Last edited:

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I am surprised that you have no baby mollies given their prolific nature. I would not recommend a betta for this tank for their long flowing fins are often times too inviting for other fish to lay off of. The Bristlenose pleco, will max out at roughly five inches and is a very good algae eater. I would add a small piece of driftwood for the pleco. They love to rasp on wood, and it helps with their digestive system. Gold fish, like livebearers, prefer hard ,slightly alkaline water with pH between 7.4 and 8.0 but prefer cooler temperatures than mollies. And they are largely vegetarian so plants would no doubt suffer. I would maybe consider an Angelfish (one). They would do well with same pH and temperatures that livebearers enjoy and would keep baby fish in check . Hope some of this helps.

Jun 6, 2009
Thanks for your input.

I forgot to mention that we have had TONS of babies by the females in the tank. However, our pet store took them off our hands for a discount on fish food, etc.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Next on the wish list would be a Black Moor Goldfish. However, do to the swiftness of the other fish, we are concerned that feeding this type of fish could perhaps pose a problem due to poor eyesight and being a slower swimmer.

I would appreciate any insight that you all would like to share. And please, feel free to make suggestions of different kinds of fish to add to the current stock.
It's usually trouble to mix coldwater fish with tropicals. Not saying it cannot be done but then you have temperature complications. You are pretty on point with the feeding issue; the goldfish will be a bit slower to find food, also if any of your mollies get aggressive you may find a goldfish getting fin-nipped because of its fancy tails and lack of speed to get away. I would also take care of what decor you put in the tank. Goldfish can be clumsy so decor with a lot of points and sharp edges is bad, esp if they have bubble eyes.

Also I am not sure doing a betta with mollies is a good idea either, as someone just recently posted problems with the betta getting beat up by the mollies (i think they had too many females though).

Any Dwarf pleco would be nice for your tank. Stay away from the common plecos, which is what you will usually see in fish stores.