What do I do for a high ammonia level that won't come down?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ammo chips and the like do NOT "clear" up the ammonia. It neutralizes it, it doesn't take care of the root problem which is an uncycled tank. Keep doing the water changes to keep both ammonia and nitrites below 1.0 ppm. This can get tedious, but it's worth it. Regular water conditioner will be fine and won't mess with your test kits.

May 24, 2009
I am done with the ammonia chemicals, no more will I use them. We will continue checking the water daily and doing water changes when needed. Today the ammonia level was 2, nitrites 0, nitrates 0-20 so hopefully it will stabilize soon.*GOLDFISH*

May 24, 2009
Ok, we have been doing partial water changes for two weeks now to get our ammonia level down and it is still staying at 1. The nitrate level is 0-20 and nitrites 0. We have 3 tetras, 1 danio, 3 cory cats and sucker fish. I know it is a long process but shouldn't it be 0 by now?

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok, we have been doing partial water changes for two weeks now to get our ammonia level down and it is still staying at 1. The nitrate level is 0-20 and nitrites 0. We have 3 tetras, 1 danio, 3 cory cats and sucker fish. I know it is a long process but shouldn't it be 0 by now?
just want to be sure, your ammonia is 1.0 ,nitrite is 0 and nitrates 0-20 ?

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I agree with use of PRIME for water conditioner. Dechlorinator should be all you need to add to the water you are using for changes.
I might also consider testing the source water or tapwater for ammonia. Water changes to keep ammonia below 1 are needed to keep fish from dying. I have also used product.. AMQUEL+ for treating tapwater before it goes in the tank with no complaints. In my view ,,if the dechlorinator doesn't clearly say on the bottle that it detoxifies AMMONIA,CHLORINE, and CHLORAMINES I won't use it. This motto has served me well.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you test your water before a change and the ammonia reads 1.0, then do a 50% water change, the ammonia should read .5 immediately afterward. Have you done this -- tested immediately before and after w/c?

If you have done this and seen no change in the test results then your test would just about have to be defective.

If this isn't the case, then when are you changing water and how much, and when are you testing in relation to the water changes?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If you have nitrates in your tank, that is a sign it is cycling. I would also suggest testing your tap water and taking a sample to your local fish store and seeing what results they get. Make sure they write them down for you, sometimes they'll just try to say "they're fine" or point you towards some other unnecessary product you need to buy (which you won't).

Gabe988

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2009
I am by no means an aquarium expert, but wouldn't a few live plants help with the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels?

P.S.: I just filled my tank up last wednesday and I'm using ammonia removers in my filter media container in the emperor 400. Is that bad? I also have live plants ( java fern) in my tank.

Gabe

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I suggest you start your own thread Gabe. :)

I would NOT use ammonia removers in a tank, they just mess up the actual cycle and test results. Yes, plants will help your water.