algae. i think

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
I looked in the tank this morning and on the back wall is this brown "stuff" NOt a lot of it but it covers about 1/3 of the glass in the back. Is this algae? Is it a good thing or bad? Waht do I need to do? HUsband wants to go get a pleco but I have heard those things get huge.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
its brown algae... technically its diatoms and not algae. Most plecos and algae eating guys will love it but its not necessary cause that stuff will go away in its own time. Also its really easy to just wipe off.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Some plecos do get huge. How big's your tank? You might be able to do a bristlenose pleco, they only get to 6 inches.

Thing is if you buy a pleco, they're quite a big bioload, and you'll have to feed them, or they'll have nothing to eat when they've eaten all the algae.

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
We just have 3 tiger barbs, 1 dwarf guarami, and 1 sunburst platy. I am still trying to get the tank cycled. Doing 50% water changes everyday to keep ammonia below 0.5. That's why I was surprised we have algae growing considering I change the water out so much.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Most new tanks go through a stage of brown algae. If you get any kind of algae eater I recommend otocinclus catfish. They are little and cute, and after the algae is gone you can feed them algae wafers, and veggies such as cucumbers. However, you should only get them after your tank is cycled as they are sensitive to water conditions.

Be sure not to overfeed, and are the tubes in your light fixture fairly new? Old fluorescent tubes can put out poor light and contribute to brown algae outbreaks.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
don't give your tank more than 8-10 hours of light a day. you should probably cut down to feeding your fish every other day.
i like the new avitar jo3
and when i had algae problem i cut my lighting back to 8 hours and fed every other day till i got the right amount to feed every day and every thing was under control

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
i like the new avitar jo3
and when i had algae problem i cut my lighting back to 8 hours and fed every other day till i got the right amount to feed every day and every thing was under control
Nice huh? Bahamas special! SW Porcupine fish I believe the seakeeper guide said.

Yea I said to go with feeding every other day just because more feeding = more poop. Plus fish in the wild are used to scavenging, and not being able to eat everyday. Overfeeding can actually hurt the fish, bloating them so be careful!

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
ya overfeeding can really mess things up
i brought my daughter over to a friends house for a play date and they had a goldfish ( that was not good )
i felt so bad.
i wont bore you with all the details but they just didnt know about fish care ,even the basics.and they are really good people ! i didnt know what to do without coming off as an ahole. but i did say not to flush till hes dead.
the fish tank looked like a bowl of fruity pebbles !
im not kidding. i found out today he died
so i think he died from over feeding and water conditions.although the tank had a filter ( tank was 1.5gal i think )
but anyway
it took me a while to get my feeding down
and now im just a happy fishkeeper.
oh and how was the trip ?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
ya overfeeding can really mess things up
i brought my daughter over to a friends house for a play date and they had a goldfish ( that was not good )
i felt so bad.
i wont bore you with all the details but they just didnt know about fish care ,even the basics.and they are really good people ! i didnt know what to do without coming off as an ahole. but i did say not to flush till hes dead.the fish tank looked like a bowl of fruity pebbles !
im not kidding. i found out today he died
so i think he died from over feeding and water conditions.although the tank had a filter ( tank was 1.5gal i think )
but anyway
it took me a while to get my feeding down
and now im just a happy fishkeeper.
oh and how was the trip ?
The trip was AWESOME, but I don't want to hi-jack this thread. I have a thread about it in the lounge. I know what you mean. My GFs parents keep fish, and they have pretty decent knowledge but they prefer fish-in cycle, don't do the water changes because they believe filtration is enough :confused:. I don't feel like giving them advice and getting into arguments because I see them almost every other day, and they feed me dinner often *laughingc.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I always found that brown algae was a sign that you are ready to cycle. Maybe it was just me that it always started forming on the new tanks when it was close.

Just becareful if you decide to use a scrub pad..get a softer one as I used a course one a few years ago and it scratched up one of my tank glass in some spots.

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
Funny you say that I have been having the hardest time getting my tank cycled but I noticed Saturday that I finally have nitrates!!! They are around 5 or a little higher and the nitrites and ammonia are 0. Keep your fingers crossed. With that I have a new question. Since I have apparently cycled, when can I add more fish?

mini 77

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
widnes, cheshire england
I have got brown fulffy stuff in my 2.6ft (150 liters) tank as well (algae) yes a Bristle noes Pleco would be very good or some algae eaters, i have got 2 small Bristle noe's down stairs in a 4ft tank they suck on everything. Is your tank near a open window where sun light can hit the tank? Mine is and algae mostly comes from sunlight. I know this because i have also got a fish pond out side which is full off green algae. So i would try and move the tank away from any sunlight if you can, if the tank is near a window.