55gal: questions about fish compatibility

Gabe988

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2009
No I'm doing a cycle with fish and live plants. I have 7 zebra danios, 6 or 7 java ferns, 2 ventii ( not sure if that's the correct name, but that's the phonetic pronunciation) and I plan on getting a couple of anubias lanceolatas. I will get a school of 7 tiger barbs for sure, 7 specimen of some kind of tetra, probably black phantoms, 2 clown plecos, about 3 corys and either rams or mollies/ platies. How many platies could I get with that stocking?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Ok well when your tank's finished cycling, whatever rams you get, wait for a while and make sure the water's pristine (i.e, good ammonia, nitrites, nitrates).

Platies are smaller than mollies, mollies can be a lot more aggressive and if you get the sailfin variety your tiger barbs will have a field day. You could only get away with a couple of platies in there and they do like to be in groups - they look better in groups aswell. They're less prolific breeders than guppies and mollies but you would be surprised at how many survive. My personal opinion is that two bolivian rams would work better and round the stock off nicely, because of theire interesting behaviour, personalities, swimming patterns and colour - you have a lot of orange and black/brown with that stocking, and generally platies are the same. The purples, blues and yellows of the rams would look nice and set off the blue on your zebra danios. I'm a bit too arty for my own good :D

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
just make sure you add the cichlids (rams) last, not only because of the water conditions like mentioned before but because of territorial issues. If they are added too early they will take over too much territory and harass most of the other fish.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Just a thing about CONTRASTING your fish (not color-cordinating!)
These colors contrast:

Red and green.
Blue and orange.
purple and yellow.
Black and white.

These colors go very nicely together, just a thought!!

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
No I'm doing a cycle with fish and live plants. I have 7 zebra danios, 6 or 7 java ferns, 2 ventii ( not sure if that's the correct name, but that's the phonetic pronunciation) and I plan on getting a couple of anubias lanceolatas. I will get a school of 7 tiger barbs for sure, 7 specimen of some kind of tetra, probably black phantoms, 2 clown plecos, about 3 corys and either rams or mollies/ platies. How many platies could I get with that stocking?

Cryptocoryne Wendtii. It's a nice plant.

Anubias Lanceolata is a nice looking variation of anubias. They had some at one of my LFS, I wanted to buy them, but they didn't fit with my scape.

Bolivian Rams are great fish. I have 6 in my 100g. Definitely add them last, they're very territorial.

Gabe988

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah that's the plant that i got :) I'm going to add a school of 7 tiger barbs tomorrow and probably 1 or 2 anubias lanceolatas. btw it might sound kinda nerdy but I'm also going to add a few rocks that I collected myself at Lake Michigan :D

Last edited:

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Were it me,(and it ain't) and I decided on corys and rams , I would purchase some sinking pellets for both species. In my humble view,, There are not many fish that can compete with danios when it comes to snatching food that hits the surface of the water with the possible exception of the Tiger barbs. Sometimes we find ourselves overfeeding in an attempt to see that those fish who frequent the lower levels of the tank receive their share. Some sinking shrimp pellets and cichlid pellets might be helpful in that respect. Bristlenose pleco would be my choice for the tank should a pleco be desired. They stay relatively small, and are proficient algae eaters as well as eating nearly anything else.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Were it me,(and it ain't) and I decided on corys and rams , I would purchase some sinking pellets for both species. In my humble view,, There are not many fish that can compete with danios when it comes to snatching food that hits the surface of the water with the possible exception of the Tiger barbs. Sometimes we find ourselves overfeeding in an attempt to see that those fish who frequent the lower levels of the tank receive their share. Some sinking shrimp pellets and cichlid pellets might be helpful in that respect. Bristlenose pleco would be my choice for the tank should a pleco be desired. They stay relatively small, and are proficient algae eaters as well as eating nearly anything else.
agreed. My coreis can sometimes get food that drops past my rasboras but my loaches need to go the surface if they want anything past my tiger barbs or the fat gourami. Sinking wafers/pellets are a must if you have bottom dwelling type fish.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Thanks for the post
very informative
are the bristlenose hardy fish ?

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
well our first placo (common ) went because the LFS didnt say " if you dont have algae you have to feed wafers ! lol
i would like to go ottos in sons tank and my 20gal when i get rid of my pleco ( again common in my 20gal) into a pond.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
I just found this neat site that goes over fish compatibility. Check it out if you get a chance.

Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart
ive noticed on liveaquaria that there compatibility chart is about 50% accurate. they need a more detailed chart considering there are different aggressions and different attitudes among a lot of those fish that the chart doesnt cover. now dont get me wrong though it does give you a pretty general idea of what goes with what. but i do use that site A LOT for the care of the certain fish and to search for new fish. i wish they had more species on there though. ive found that they are pretty accurate on a lot of that info tho

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the post
very informative
are the bristlenose hardy fish ?
I have three of the longfinned albino bristlenose. They are in my view, as hardy as the common pleco if their needs are met. They like a moderate current ,and oxygen rich water which can be provided with sponge filter or powerheads (not too large) ,Or by lowering the water level in the tank thus making waterfall effect. They have been kept by those who keep Discus to keep tanks cleaner, but I do not believe they appreciate the higher temps that Discus enjoy. I kept one with Five Discus at temperature of 84 degrees and it spent most of it's time glued to the tank where powerhead was located. They also appreciate some bogwood or driftwood to rasp on and it helps with their digestive process. Is true,, If plenty of fish food is available ,they will be less interested in algae but the ones I have ,have virtually cleaned the tanks to the point that i must supplement with veggies,spirulina flake,algae wafers, zucchinni,sweet red bell pepper,and sweet potatoe. In my view ,, they are much more hardy than Otocinclus and much less fussy about water. Not to mean that they will thrive in poor conditions.