foamy water in tank?

May 3, 2009
I've been running my tank for 2 weeks now. Yesterday after a water change (used Prime to dechlorinate and some API tap water conditioner) noticed a lot of bubbles on the top of the water creating a foam-like layer on the right side of my tank. Ammonia and Nitrite is 0 and Nitrates are less than 5. Fish seem ok. Is it something I should be worrying about?

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
is your water level a little low and does your filter cause like a waterfall into your water? if so ive seen that on my tank when it gets low on water. never seen any harm done to any of my fish though because of it. i may be wrong that it isnt bad so a second or third opinion from some of the more experienced people would probably be good to verify that.

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
melafix causes foam especial around areas wher the surface is broken....it could b the same if it is around the filter head...if u find it disapears after a few hours that probably it

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
When agitated, "surface scum"--the protein film that collects upon the surface of your water, will turn into a foam. It's not harmful, but it is an indicator that you likely have excessive decay from food or biological material (bacteria, fish, plants) in your tank. This is also often seen after a cycle when particular bacteria die off in order to adjust to the current envioronmental conditions. When conditions are very stable, you will rarely see this. Increase either the frequency of your water changes and/or quantity until conditions stabilize, as well as identify the source of decay, and adjust as necessary.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
i guess i should clarify the what i have at the top is from the treasure chest bubbler bubbling at the top creating bubbles and it looks kinda like a foamy substance BUT it all disappears when i open my lid so i guess i wouldnt have exactly what you are talking about. im sorry. was thinking straight yesterday. but thanks for the other inputs on this. helps me learn something new

May 3, 2009
Thanks. I assume it would be the prime/api mix. As a serious aside though, I suspect a Ram I got last week has ich. It has very small white spots on its dorsal fin and one on its head (doesnt seem to scratch itself against substrate or seem too lethargic though). Other fish haven't shown symptoms but I'm trying to raise temp (doesnt seem to be a very good heater). I have scaleless fish like BGK and Clown Loach so I'm hesitant to use meds and/or salt. Any suggestions? Should I take the Ram out and return? Or is it likely that other fish are already infected and just havent shown white spots?

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Thanks. I assume it would be the prime/api mix. As a serious aside though, I suspect a Ram I got last week has ich. It has very small white spots on its dorsal fin and one on its head (doesnt seem to scratch itself against substrate or seem too lethargic though). Other fish haven't shown symptoms but I'm trying to raise temp (doesnt seem to be a very good heater). I have scaleless fish like BGK and Clown Loach so I'm hesitant to use meds and/or salt. Any suggestions? Should I take the Ram out and return? Or is it likely that other fish are already infected and just havent shown white spots?
The ich parasite can swim in the water and infect other fish. I'd also be hesitant to use meds and salt. What I would do is turn up the heat a few degrees (not too much) to speed up the lifecycle of the ich.

Also I don't think it is neccessary to return the fish.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
i guess i should clarify the what i have at the top is from the treasure chest bubbler bubbling at the top creating bubbles and it looks kinda like a foamy substance BUT it all disappears when i open my lid so i guess i wouldnt have exactly what you are talking about. im sorry. was thinking straight yesterday. but thanks for the other inputs on this. helps me learn something new

odd that it disappears after you open the lid.lol.

The only time I've seen foam on the surface is when there is excessive ammonia (not on my tank... knock on wood).
Well it seems like you have it figured out now and that it ended up being just air bubbles. Your lucky it wasn't an ammonia problem.:)

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
odd that it disappears after you open the lid.lol.

The only time I've seen foam on the surface is when there is excessive ammonia (not on my tank... knock on wood).
Well it seems like you have it figured out now and that it ended up being just air bubbles. Your lucky it wasn't an ammonia problem.:)
yeah sorry i wasnt being clear. i was tired that day and wasnt thinking straight. yes its just air bubbles from my bubbler. man i need to get some picks uploaded