Hopefully not a dumb question

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
I added 3 tiger barbs to my 23g tank on Friday. I have checked the levels every day and last night they were: nitrites 0, ammonia 0, and nitrates 20. Can I add a couple more fish or do I need to wait a few more days?

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
I am doing a 25% change once a week. Yes the tank is cycled, finally. RIght now I have 6 tiger barbs (including the 3 I just added), 1 dwarf guarami, and 1 platy. I was going to get 2 or 3 otos tomorrow.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
I am doing a 25% change once a week. Yes the tank is cycled, finally. RIght now I have 6 tiger barbs (including the 3 I just added), 1 dwarf guarami, and 1 platy. I was going to get 2 or 3 otos tomorrow.
should be fine , and its good to be cycled aint it ? lol
and like was said you might be at your stocking limit.
and just test your water for couple days to make sure you dont get any spikes

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
I know I am pretty stocked but if I don't get another platy I think my nine year old will lose her mind, she says he needs someone to play with. :) So I think I will get 2 ottos and 1 platy and be done. I am starting to like this aquarium stuff. I already want to upgrade. Husband isn't so thrilled about the idea though.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
tigers don't get 3.5 inches.... haha more like 2...2.5 tops.... honestly a 3.5 inch tiger barb would just be scary
ill show you, kinda hard to show in a group ill try to get a ruler up close. That is from tail to mouth, they have tiger barbs seperated @ my local petsmart in the groups:

1 inchers

2 inchers

2.5-3 inchers

i was exaggerating when I said 3.5 inches, but 3 is not quite farfetched as it seems, guess it depends on their living conditions

Last edited:

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
I know I am pretty stocked but if I don't get another platy I think my nine year old will lose her mind, she says he needs someone to play with. :) So I think I will get 2 ottos and 1 platy and be done. I am starting to like this aquarium stuff. I already want to upgrade. Husband isn't so thrilled about the idea though.
ya when my wife learned i was getting a 75 gal she looked at me funny ! lol
but i am not one to preach about over stocking im over stocked BUT i do regular water changes and test water to keep my tanks nice.i love all the activity in my tanks and im pretty sure they are all happy ( otherwise i would think they would just hang and do nothing.) but the more fish you have the more maintenance you have, trust me i know. and if your daughter wants it do you really have a choice ? lol

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
ill show you, kinda hard to show in a group ill try to get a ruler up close. That is from tail to mouth, they have tiger barbs seperated @ my local petsmart in the groups:

1 inchers

2 inchers

2.5-3 inchers

i was exaggerating when I said 3.5 inches, but 3 is not quite farfetched as it seems, guess it depends on their living conditions
alright..... maybe 3.

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
And I just realized that for the last 2 months I have been spelling gourami incorrectly. I feel like a jacka$$ now. Thanks for not telling me fish friends. I HATE spelling things wrong. That is just going to bother me for the rest of the day now. lol

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
And I just realized that for the last 2 months I have been spelling gourami incorrectly. I feel like a jacka$$ now. Thanks for not telling me fish friends. I HATE spelling things wrong. That is just going to bother me for the rest of the day now. lol
I think most of us are used to overlooking misspelled words. I'm like you about spelling... I can't hardly stand to even abbreviate!
But you have seen how some people type on the forum. If we were to nit-pick every single error, we'd never get around to answering the question, lol. (Oops, I guess I do use some abbreviations!) *laughingc
No worries about the gourami spelling, though. That's not the worst we've seen, I'm sure!