Newbie Question

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
I have recently purchased a 10G tank and I was wondering if I could keep the fish I would like to have in it.

As of right now I have a Dwarf Gourami, 2 Red Wag Platies, and a Neon Tetra (I had three but my old apartment got so hot for a straight week two of them died). I would like to keep Everything listed above as well as a second Gourami, a Clown Pleco, and the 3 Neon Tetras. The tank is established and I do perform regular water changes. Would that be too much of a bio load? On a side note, I know all about the nitrogen cycle, and I have not as of yet purchased a test kit (I borrow some from a friend). Any comments would be appreciated.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
no on the clown pleco.... a second gourami can cause aggression issues... the neons should be okay though... and that's really all else you can put in it cause of the bio load.

still... get those test kits... when the **** hits the fan, which it usually does with every tank, you'll want them

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
no on the clown pleco.... a second gourami can cause aggression issues... the neons should be okay though... and that's really all else you can put in it cause of the bio load.

still... get those test kits... when the **** hits the fan, which it usually does with every tank, you'll want them
Yeah, I'm working on those, probably going to run and get those tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response, is there a bottom feeder that I could get? I really like them and would like to have one.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
you should really concentrate on getting those neon numbers up cause they like to be in groups... or you can get rid of the neon... like return it or see if the pet store or a friend will take it and get a pair of small cories.. like albino or panda..

Jun 21, 2008
Ottos are small enough for a 10 gallon, but they also like to be in groups, so you don't necessarily have room for a group of neons and a group of ottos. You can check them out though and see if you like them. You could maybe get away with a group of 5 neons and then 3 ottos. You'd have to keep up with the water changes, and I'm not sure if 3 is enough ottos for them to be comfortable, but it might work. I'm open to others saying it won't though, just an idea. Also, my clown pleco is really shy and I rarely see him. He's cool looking, but I don't get to watch mine that often, if that helps make up for the fact that they're a bit too big for a 10.
http://www.myfishtank.net/freshwater-fish/suckermouth-catfish/otocinclus-catfish/

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
you should really concentrate on getting those neon numbers up cause they like to be in groups... or you can get rid of the neon... like return it or see if the pet store or a friend will take it and get a pair of small cories.. like albino or panda..
Yeah, I originally was going to get five of them, but, when I went to go purchase the last two I noticed that two of the original three had died. Thank you for your advice though. I appreciate it :), I'm new to fish keeping and I don't want to kill the poor things.

DesignsOnYou said:
Ottos are small enough for a 10 gallon, but they also like to be in groups, so you don't necessarily have room for a group of neons and a group of ottos. You can check them out though and see if you like them. You could maybe get away with a group of 5 neons and then 3 ottos. You'd have to keep up with the water changes, and I'm not sure if 3 is enough ottos for them to be comfortable, but it might work. I'm open to others saying it won't though, just an idea. Also, my clown pleco is really shy and I rarely see him. He's cool looking, but I don't get to watch mine that often, if that helps make up for the fact that they're a bit too big for a 10.
I remember someone from my LFS telling me that Ottos might work. I'll look into that. I was thinking about only keeping three neons and getting a few Ottos, but I've been told that neons need to be in a bigger group. I'll figure something out though :)