55gal: questions about fish compatibility

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
thank you
i appreciate your input. all us newbie and moderate noobies, and those that have years of experience gotta stick together.
this site ( for me ) has proven most effective in getting an answer !
ive stated before i dont care if you insult me or whatever ! lol
i just want an answer , and so far that has always been the case.lots of different opinions , some all being the same

i know im over stocked but ive never tried to tell the people on here they dont know what there talking about because im not following the 1 inch rule
well anyway
thanks for the input.

Jun 15, 2009
just keep in mind that the rams like a low ph around 6.0, 6.5. They also like flat rocks. If you dont have any now, be carefull when you put them in. I always find the rocks raise my ph.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I would now just add to your two schools of danios and tigers (I think that's all you have) and then get a pair of cichlids (rams if you want but I'd go bigger) and then some loaches or cories.

Gabe988

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2009
I would now just add to your two schools of danios and tigers (I think that's all you have) and then get a pair of cichlids (rams if you want but I'd go bigger) and then some loaches or cories.
yeah that is correct. I think I'm getting a school of either black skirt tetras or black phantom tetras ( 7 of them) and replacing the danios with another school of fish so I have a total of 3 schools, 2 rams, cories and plecos

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Ok well when your tank's finished cycling, whatever rams you get, wait for a while and make sure the water's pristine (i.e, good ammonia, nitrites, nitrates).

Platies are smaller than mollies, mollies can be a lot more aggressive and if you get the sailfin variety your tiger barbs will have a field day. You could only get away with a couple of platies in there and they do like to be in groups - they look better in groups aswell. They're less prolific breeders than guppies and mollies but you would be surprised at how many survive. My personal opinion is that two bolivian rams would work better and round the stock off nicely, because of theire interesting behaviour, personalities, swimming patterns and colour - you have a lot of orange and black/brown with that stocking, and generally platies are the same. The purples, blues and yellows of the rams would look nice and set off the blue on your zebra danios. I'm a bit too arty for my own good :D
Platys,and mollies in my humble view would prefer more alkaline water than the german blue rams would appreciate.Mollies and platys I have kept did poorly in soft acidic water that rams would require. I agree that bolivians might fare better.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
That's true, more so for mollies which I find can be more prone to ich and fungal infections without a bit of salt in the water. Platies I think are better at neutral, which I kept bolivian rams in for years, it's really blue rams that are fussier over water params.

Gabe988

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2009
is limestone white? I think it may be... it's from the shore of lake michigan. would it lower the pH alot or just a little?

Last edited:

Gabe988

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2009
I'm going to test the pH of the water tomorrow. The rocks I put in are white but they don't look like the ones on the pictures. They're smooth and I think they may be pebble stones.... we'll find out tomorrow

Gabe988

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2009
So I come home and look at my fishtank and the water is all white and cloudy. The fish are fine though. I also tested for ammonia and i read 0 ppm ammonia. I have had the tank for 3 weeks now and i have 7 tiger barbs and 7 danios and plants. Does anyone know why the water could be cloudy?

edit: I also found what I think may be brown algae on my rocks. I can rub it off with my hands and it's rather slippery.

Gabe

Last edited: