Please Help Identify

Jan 2, 2009
Please help me identify this type of fish, I assume its some type of Loach, of all things he was sold as an "Algae Eater", I don't think he is a Chinese Algae Eater though maybe a Ladder or a Yoyo? I figured him for a loach and didn't rely on the description when I got him... Anyhow I have been feeding him Algae Wafers, Zucchinis and he eats just about anything. He should be called a garbage gut, because he eats just about anything... Recently he has become aggressive and nibbles on the other fish, and their tails. I have a Betta and a few Danios in there with him. I've tried feeding him more and tried different things, but he seems to nibble on the other fish, its becoming quite problematic. The Danios can out swim him, but the Betta cannot, otherwise the fish are getting along well. The betta is a young thing, so he is not aggressive, and I have a spot for him later on if problems arise, meanwile his attitude is becoming stressful on the Betta and Danios. Never thought anyone could stress out the Danios... LOL Any thoughts? Thanks *twirlysmi

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
YEAH YO YO LOACH!!!!

they are so cool, especially when you get a few...they will have a hierarchy between yoyo's are get semi-aggressive when not in groups...They should be in atleast a 30 gallon tank...

He looks like hes got some good size to him...

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Yes Yoyo..I love those loaches. Mine and my red tail shark used to bang bodies when ti was food time ..it wa slike they were glued together.

I agree they do get kinda aggresive if alone. Mine was not too annoying..but sometimes he was a pain.

Jan 2, 2009
Sweet, thanks. I will have to get him some loach friends. He is halarious, one of my favorites by far, the tank balance was interupted when the tank cracked while I was away a week ago and I lost a few Danios during the process, along with some equipment. Luckly I had a spare setup, cycled and ready. I had been leaking on the bottom but I didn't notice, then it cracked. It was a very old tank, and it turns out had a cip that had spread and wen't unnoticed. Don't know why they marketed him as a "Algae Eater", I could not imagine leaving him in there to nibble on the tank inhabitants while he wen't hungry from the lack of algae. I've had him forever, he was friends with my Danios equally rambuncious. Good to know. Thanks :)

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Bah, most the ones I've seen including the ones I have say "yyyy". I guess the "o's" are rare?

I agree on getting some more if your tank can support them. I have three in a 75 gallon and they are fun to watch.