bettas

brody

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
england
would a betta be able to survive in a vase for 2 - 3 weeks with no heater or filter? its just i want to change his 10 gallon tank from gravel to sand but keep the filter in a different tank to keep it cycled would this be okay or not?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Probably so long the temp didn't fluctuate to much and you were diligent about water changes.

I have to ask though, why would it take 3 weeks to change out a 10 gallon tank? In the past I've changed out the substrate in a 75g and had the fish back in the tank within 6 hours. A day should give the tank more than enough time to settle.

brody

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
england
sorry i ment to put 2-3 days my bad and this would be for sand to settle and the bacteria to start to grow and the water to heat up

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
sorry i ment to put 2-3 days my bad and this would be for sand to settle and the bacteria to start to grow and the water to heat up
you could put your betta in immediately afterwards. The bacteria from your gravel may be gone, but certainly not the bacteria from the filter... Unless you plan on washing it out...

brody

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
england
im not to sure wether to change the sponges or not its a juwel tank with the internal filter built into the corner with 4 sponges so maybe change one at a time

brody

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
england
no its a filter but build into the tank i wanted to buy a external filter (one that stands out of the tank) and take out the other filter because the pumps not very good in it

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't replace the filter pads, just squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water. My first ever tank was a juwel rekord 96, and to avoid a cycle I'd only replace one pad at a time coz they're all stacked on top of each other. They're good filters but the pumps don't last very well at all, I'd replaced mine with a fluval after a few years.