Need advice kid proof a tank

May 7, 2009
I have a 38 gal aquarium, my 4 year old son likes to throw toy trucks into the tank, sorta like big hot wheels, he even threw a spare tire in there. Is there any type of lock I can put on the tank to make it kid proof?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Geez, that's a tough one. I would be concerned he would try to grab onto the side of the tank and hang off of it, tipping it over onto himself or breaking the side. You could chain it shut, but that'd be a pain.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I think your best solution would be to teach him not to do it at all. My 3 1/2 year old knows, so your 4 year old should be able to be taught not to in my opinion.

Otherwise, I ahve seen wooden hoods you can have buiolt or DiY and the lids could have a pad lock addded if needed.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
LOL !!!!!!!!!
hairbrush works good to, although MOMS fav was wooden spoon until she broke it then it was a metal one
Seriously though. When I was a kid I got belted or smacked everytime I was bad. Kids nowadays get away with so much ****. My girlfriends nephew is a fun kid, but he is such a brat when you tell him no, then he does things like sits on a glass table, or starts dragging bags on the floor. I really really just want to light that kid up sometimes :mad:

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Seriously though. When I was a kid I got belted or smacked everytime I was bad. Kids nowadays get away with so much ****. My girlfriends nephew is a fun kid, but he is such a brat when you tell him no, then he does things like sits on a glass table, or starts dragging bags on the floor. I really really just want to light that kid up sometimes :mad:
there is a big difference between discipline and abuse.
and i certainly dont think abuse is funny.
to be honest my kids get away with A LOT and are spoiled but there are some things they just know not to do.
thank god they have never called my bluff !
and when i got hit i deffinatly deserved it ! ( which wasnt often )

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
there is a big difference between discipline and abuse.
and i certainly dont think abuse is funny.
to be honest my kids get away with A LOT and are spoiled but there are some things they just know not to do.
thank god they have never called my bluff !
and when i got hit i deffinatly deserved it ! ( which wasnt often )
I think any kind of physical punishment is abuse, but it needs to be used in the right context. Man I have friends of family that punish their kids by sending them on "Time Out" to their room. OH GOOD ONE, he's locked up upstairs in his room playing games. IDK IMO non-physical punishment just isn't imposing at all. Now if you ground a teenager that's different I guess because they value their social life. But if you ground a kid, well rofl.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
I think any kind of physical punishment is abuse, but it needs to be used in the right context. Man I have friends of family that punish their kids by sending them on "Time Out" to their room. OH GOOD ONE, he's locked up upstairs in his room playing games. IDK IMO non-physical punishment just isn't imposing at all. Now if you ground a teenager that's different I guess because they value their social life. But if you ground a kid, well rofl.
i dont mean to hijack this post lol
but yes time out is a joke !
it doesnt work nowadays !
but i think home life ( spending time with family is the most important )
my kids get many benefits that i didnt have ( not material things, which i didnt have ) but love and ATTENTION !

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
heck i make my son stand like military stance and stare at the wall when he's in timeout and if im too mad after hes done with timeout then i send him to his room. every once in awhile he will get a swat on his rear but it isnt that hard and never leaves a mark

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
heck i make my son stand like military stance and stare at the wall when he's in timeout and if im too mad after hes done with timeout then i send him to his room. every once in awhile he will get a swat on his rear but it isnt that hard and never leaves a mark
My uncle used to make my cousin sit upright against the wall till she cried. The best was when we were kids and I got to watch :rolleyes:

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
i dont mean to hijack this post lol
but yes time out is a joke !
it doesnt work nowadays !
but i think home life ( spending time with family is the most important )
my kids get many benefits that i didnt have ( not material things, which i didnt have ) but love and ATTENTION !
and yes there needs to be discipline ( the animal kingdom at least knows that lol )
but which brings us to physical verses mental ! ??
we are not animals right ?

snnbrg

New Fish
Jul 8, 2009
As long as he's developmentally normal, he's of an age where he should be capable of understanding that his behavior isn't acceptable. Fish are worthy of the same respect and consideration we'd give to any other pet. If you wouldn't let your kid chuck toys at the family dog, don't let him do it to the fish, either.