phelp asap

damian09

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2009
my puffer has just started acting like its dying it keeps floatin on side whats wrong with him help:confused::confused:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Can you please post more information about your tank? Everything you tell us can help us help you. What size tank? what is the temperature? Do you have water test kits and can you tell us what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are in your tank? When was the last time you did a water change and how much was it? Have you added anything to the tank recently?

You may want to do a partial water change asap if you haven't just done one recently.

damian09

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2009
amonia 0.5 nitrate and nitrite 0.0 tank about 15g 76f(temp) no test kit my lfs tested water 25% water change a week and all i added was a gold fish but hes went yesterday i dont no but ive just looked now he died im sick cos no other shop around were i live sell fw/puffers

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
wasnt that puffer given to you? he may have been stressed with the move and the problems youve had with your tank lately if i remember correctly that you have been having problems with it for about a week now. if your gold fish died also then im assuming there is something wrong with the water that you have. didnt you say it was very cloudy the other day?

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
Did you properly acclimate him to his new water? Not only can the stress of moving make them sick/kill them but the shock of being dumped into a tank can also do the same.

damian09

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2009
gold fish didnt dies gave him to my lfs and i did acclimatize him he was in tank for about 2 days no probs with cloudy water.all levels are fine and water quality is fine do you think it waas from him not eating and i have only been back on site the last 2 days not posted for about to weeks nearly but all paras are good and temps was good lots of hiding places i have had the tank 3 weeks now and it has cycled properly this has stupmed me i dont no whats happenedany help

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
he might of already been on his way to the grave when you got him. if he wasnt eating there was probably something DEFINITALY wrong with him. sometimes fish never die off right away, sometimes it takes a little bit. maybe he had some type of disease and you couldnt tell or something along them lines. i dont know what else to tell you maybe someone with a lot more experience could tell ya. sorry. i would order fish and accessories online if your LFS dont sell them and if you do that compile 1 order of everything you would like to set your tank up with and order everything at once even if it means saving for a month or so then ordering. its what im going to do after i go thru the stages of adding a few things that i can get here locally and once ive done all that and get everything where i want it im going to compile approx. $200 and order away with everything i want from plants to fish (if i dont already have everything i want because i can get better prices locally on a decent amount of stuff rather than online) plus you have so many more options of things to get online and i think im about 100% positive that most fish ordering sites send guarantees with your order. just a thought

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If he was kept in a tank with a goldfish, something was definitely wrong with the setup. Goldfish are cold water, puffers are warmer water. What kind of puffer is this exactly? Did you ever narrow it down?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
amonia 0.5 nitrate and nitrite 0.0
Not sure if this has already been covered but sounds to me like the tank was having water quality issues - a cycled tank would have 0.0 ammonia and nitrites and some visible nitrates. Might be clutching at straws here but maybe this is what killed off the puffer? Not sure how much a 0.5 ammonia reading would affect the fish, but coupled with the stress of the move it may have done some damage.

Last edited: