First Fish Tank

Aug 17, 2009
North Carolina
Finally after waiting all summer to come back to college I finally have my first fish tank and fish!*twirlysmi I have two goldfish that are in a 2 and a half gallon tank with filter. They seem to be doing fine so far but its only been 2 days. I just wanted to know if you guys have info that I would need to know about keeping them healthy like how often to clean the tank, change the water, or types of food(or anything else you can think of) to recommend that would be best for my goldies. the only question I have now is that they seem kind of greedy/hungry when I feed them. they always race towards the food and gobble it up when they see the food. everything I have read(and the lady at petsmart who sold me them) says to fee them about 3 times a day but is that enough or too much?

Feb 27, 2009
Goldfish need a much larger tank than 2 1/2 gallons. You should use a 30 gallon at least. If they are common goldfish, they can get to a foot in length.

Feeding them 3 times a day may be a bit too much. Once a day should be plenty. Most fish are opportunistic, and will generally eat whatever is being offered.

Please make sure to read up on cycling an aquarium. With you heavy feedings and the tiny tank, you will need to do a lot of water changes to keep them.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Mybe you should exchange the goldfish for a couple of guppies. They're colorful and will fit in your tank much better than goldies. Even better, how about a betta?

Do read up on cycling immediately. That is the info you need to keep fish alive.

And at least until your tank is completely cycled, feed lightly every other day. Your fish will be fine and will produce much less waste, thus putting fewer toxic substances into the water.

And totally do not listen to the salespeople. ;)

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
With you heavy feedings and the tiny tank, you will need to do a lot of water changes to keep them.
I'd say with light feedings you will need to do water changes every day, like 50% each time. Forever, or as long as you keep them in that micro tank. That is if you want them to survive. Don't forget to de-chlor the change water too.

I have three 3" Goldfish in a fully cycled 20 gallon tank. Very large filtration and weekly water changes of 50% along with gravel vacuuming. They are healthy because I am all over that tank.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Congrats on the fishies, it's always exciting getting a new pet! I agree that that tank is a wee bit small. On average goldies can grow 3-5 inch, but are also poo machines, thus needing a bigger tank rather than a small one. You can buy used tank sets dirt cheap on sites such as kijiji.com! Your goldies (I'm guessing that's them as your avatar...) look really pretty! Good Luck!! :D

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I know you are excited, but really that tank is only big enough for a betta. Your fish will undoubtly suffer being kept in such a small tank. Changing the water everyday may help, but only for a very short time, as well, it's not the best idea to change so much water so often. You may end up back at the pet store buying new fish a lot if you keep goldfish in a tank like that. Bettas are beautiful and full of personality!

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
This may sound harsh, but your goldfish will die if you keep them in such a small space. For a beginner, you should keep community fish that are hardy and easy to take care of. Livebearers such as platies, mollies, guppies, and tetras are good fish to start off with. Goldfish need a very large tank since they can grow to be about 8 inches long or bigger. For every inch of fish, you need at least 1 gallon of water. So, for your two fish, you should have at least a 20 gallon tank, because you have to consider that your fish will grow and mature into large adults.