Question on types of LR

Aug 17, 2008
I would like to order 25 lbs of live rock to start with, for my 45 gal fish-only sw aquarium. I found a site that seems to have decent prices, but I'm getting flustered as to what type(s) I should buy, how much, and what size, as well as how to stack them after they've been quarantined.

The three types I'm considering are Tonga, Caribbean, and Fiji. I've read that the Fiji and Tonga are the best for biological filtration purposes, but that the Caribbean comes in more unusual shapes which provides added circulation and more for the fish to swim through. The Tonga is described as "deepwater Tonga." Not sure what that will look like. I also read you're more likely to get unwanted hitchikers and nasties off of the Caribbean rock, even after curing.

I was thinking of doing either 25 lbs of Fiji (8-12 in pieces) to start with and later adding 25 lbs of Tonga (5-7 inches). Then, I guess I'll stack them with larger pieces on the bottom?? Or I could get all three: 25 lbs Tonga, 25lbs Caribbean, and 12 lbs Fiji maybe. Any thoughts on what is best for my tank (keeping in mind I'd like to add some corals down the road), how to set it up, and how much would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, and do you have to add calcium or do anything extra to the tank after adding LR?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I'd pick your favorite type and stick with it cause it would look more put together and natural.... Fiji seems most available and therefore popular but tonga looks cool.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Fiji has better shapes than the carribean one usually, and is lighter 'cause it's more porous, wich makes you pay less for the visible quantity, and since it's more porous, it can host more bacterias and hitchhikers. If you plan to get carribean, put it on the bottom, it's often more resistant and can be hidden. Fiji to cover it, and Tonga branch on top, it's easily breakable. If you can get your hands on Sulawesi rock, Tokota ( west fiji ) or Nui, check them out...very cool shapes and super bio filter power!

Aug 17, 2008
thanks for your comments! I meant to ask how to stack them to make sure they don't topple over. I already have sand in the tank, so I couldn't use a plastic crate as I've read elsewhere, under the sandbed. I read about some kind of paste/apoxy, but am not sure if I'd be able to rearrange the rock after using that, or where to find it (at a LFS I assume?)

Also, if any of you can post pics of your LR and say what kind it is, that would be much appreciated!

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
When I started my tank, I had the same questions you are asking. I put my sand in first and then the LR. I just have the live rock stacked, making caves for the fish and haven't had a problem with the rock falling over, it stacks pretty good by itself if you just play with it a bit. But, you can get as creative with it as you want, as you have seen, it just depends how much time you have and how creative you are. I don't no about using apoxy, I have changed my live rock around 4 or 5 times since I first put it in the tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
As stated you should add all your rock then cycle with the rock in the tank. If you add live rock after your cycle it is possible that the new rock will create a mini cycle.....it is optimal to add it all at once but up to you.

Pacific live rock is usually more rock for the buck and is more porous and provides more filtration/pound. Carribean is denser therefore you will need more lbs/gallon to provide the same filtration. It is sometimes good to get a mix of rock that way you will have more diversity of life from it. Deep water rock will have less visible growth of corals, coraline etc....but will quickly color up when added to your tank

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
If you try it on dry rock ( like base/reef rock ), it's pretty hard to separate rocks afterwards. You have to get your live rock out of the water ( well the part you need to glue ) to get a drier surface, which can be tricky. No it doesn't come off, and eventually the grey color will be covered with coralline. I glued my frags with that putty too. Just make sure you mix well the 2 parts, the glue and the cement. When it's ready it turns grey and your finger get sticky. Be sure to glue porous areas of your rocks where the epoxy can really gets in, for more efficiency.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
the epoxy does work, i use it on everything. You just have to let it start to dry outside the tank before you stick it or else it never sticks. and its not really permanent its more like strong clay. You can pull it apart to rearrange rocks, i did.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
id go with fiji rock if thats an option.... ive never glued my rocks before and havnt had a problem in the past 5 years! you can cure the rocks your self just throw them in a rubbermaid container filled with SW and a pump and do some water changes and moniter them for a week or 2 and when theres no ammonia yur good to go!

Aug 17, 2008
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'll get some Fiji to start with and go from there. Do you think I should purchase 8-12 in rock to start and then build up with smaller pieces?

Also, do I need to be adding calcium to the water after inserting the LR, or is that just for corals? If so, how much? I was also wondering if my powerheads should be directed AT the LR. I bought two that seems to skim the surface water, and I can't direct the flow downwards.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
don't add any supplements for now, anyways calcium is included in the salt mix.
If you had a full blown reef you might have to supplement, but you will not need it for a while.
Bigger pieces of LR often means more anaerobic bacterias, which is good.