Stocking suggestions/tank mates

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I'm going to be placing guppies, and mollies in my 29 gallon community tank. I've been reading fish profiles. I'd really like to add either swordtails, rasboras, tetras, danios, minnows, or killifish. I've read that they are all peaceful community fish, but my questions are these:

1.) Are they tank mates for guppies and mollies?
2.) Which ones can't tolerate having a little bit of salt in the water?
3.) Do you have any other small community fish suggestions? I decided against getting platies, since we had a couple before and the guppies hated them and it made us sad to see all our guppies torture our platies.

Thank you!

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Killifish IMO would be out of the question with salt in the water, they like soft, acid water, not the hard water salt causes. Anynone a bit more knowledgable on killifish than me might be able to give better input.

I don't see any reason why guppies wouldn't get on with platies, but swordtails are VERY similar, in fact some for sale can have their true lineage doubted as to whether they're true swordtails or a mix between platies and swords.

You seem to have listed a lot of "aquatic rabbits" here, i.e you'll have plenty of babies very soon if you keep mixed sex groups of mollies guppies and swordtails.

Looking at your other choices, some of the danios should work well here, most tetras so prefer soft acid water but I've had salt in with tetras before with no ill effects. Rasboras I'm not too sure on, again I'd see them as soft acid water fish rather than hard water. Minnows would be ideal but they do prefer lower temperatures than mollies and guppies.

Personally I'd go for danios with this set-up, but beware of the mass of babies you're likely to get from the guppies and mollies.

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
A couple of opinions. First, "tetras" is a broad term. There are so many types of tetras, some not as friendly as others, and some grow a bit larger than others. But that also means there are so many to choose from! Also, my experience with killifish is that they sometimes eat fish that will fit in the mouths, like zebra danios. I've had that happen a couple of times. Misterking has a good point about breeding, live bearers can over populate a tank in the blink of an eye. Have fun picking your fish, with a little reasearch you will have a great tank!

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Yes, I'm planning on smaller tetras. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Thank you all for your help! I really want tetras, so I probably won't get killifish, since they've been known to eat tetras.

And trust me, I know about the babies, but I enjoy raising the fry and will be selling them, hopefully.

I just have to find out about the rasboras now...

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
The thing is, if they don't tolerate it, by the time you realise this it could be too late.

Do you already have mollies, and this is why you're set on them? I'd personally try something like swordtails, they're generally less aggressive between males and don't need salt in the water, with mollies I find them more susceptable to ich without salt. Unless of course, your heart is set on mollies.

Dec 10, 2010
Fort St. John, BC Canada
I just have to find out about the rasboras now...
I have a 36gallon that I am just setting up and decided to go with 3 harlequin rasboras and 3 zebra danios to start out. So far both species have been completely fine with the setting up on the tank (although I did have lots of filter media to start the cycling with). I can tell you that out of all of my fish the harlequins are by far my favorite, they have only been in the tank for about a week now but have already made it their own. There was about a 30 min shyness check things out period and since then have been racing over every inch of the tank and haven't stopped yet. Out of my penguin tetras, serpae tetras, neon tetras, and zebra danios the harlequins seem to be by far the most personable, active, and nicest to look at. Under the fluorescent lights of my tank they are much prettier then they were are the lfs and their eyes are a very striking orange. I've read that they like water low in salts, but are pretty hardy and can handle a range of water conditions, mine have no added salt in the water, I have read that if they aren't happy with the water then they will become duller and not as bright, so maybe you could use that as an indicator? I have noticed that mine have gotten considerably more brighter with more vibrant color since I brought mine home. I would definitely get 6 or more if you are going to get some as they are a shoaling fish and for the entertainment value!