filters

fishums

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2009
i was wondering how often all of you replace the blue carbon pads in your filters. Also when you do does it mess up the waters chemistry at all? Do you have to cycle it again or does it do it by itself because the water is full of bacteria?

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
i think most filter packs say to change them anywhere from every 2-4 weeks but to be honest i think i change mine every 5-8 weeks (thats about how long mine take to clog to the point that water flow is reduced) and a dont have any amonia in my tanks and also most of you good bacteria lives in bio filter mesh thingy and on your substrate decoration, plants ect. so as long as you aquarium is established you will be fine when you change the carbon pads

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Actually, most of us simply swish the filter pads out in used tank water to unclog them and put them back. They last a long time that way, but the reason we do it is to preserve the bacteria colonies on them.

You can have an ammonia spike when you replace them, but you shouldn't have a full-blown cycle re-do unless you scrub down your filter box, replacing all media, and also zealously clean your substrate and/or ornamentation. Tip: never, ever replace all your filter media types at once. Not many bacteria live in the water.

Feb 27, 2009
lol i havent changed my filter pad in my 35 gallon in like 3 months i just do what homebunny does..... didnt wanna get burned for giving bad advice
I had one for over 2 years before it finally fell apart. I don't use that type of filter anymore, but 'they' just want you to keep buying more parts to replace and seem to convince a lot to do it.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
as was posted above just swish around in water your changing out.
i think the longest ive gone is 3 months before having to change, but thats because i really have to rinse because of such a large bio load.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I have a HOB that has a slot for 2 blue pad cartidges the one the water goes through first I cut the plastic on the back enough to get the carbon out of and just swish in old water when I do water changes, my water parrameters are am-0 nitrites-0 nitrates-15

fish are healthy and plants grow about an inch a week